Bent Chipper Blades

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 167
  • Views 20K
No I haven't Brian, I don't know if they would carry a torque wrench that would go up that high to be honest with you. Not everyone needs something like that unless you work on big equipment. The only use I would have for a torque wrench that measures 300 plus pounds would be for use on our chipper.

I just don't need to be spending that amount of money right now. It really isn't the amount it is the timing. I have shelled out enough money on unplanned expenses as it is these last few months. At least the work is picking back up.

I will check it out though. Sears might have something I can order. I still haven't used my wife's Christmas present to me. A $100 gift certificate at the Sears tool department. I love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

and if your torque is 300 youll want a wrench that goes 500-600 so your not maxing it out all the time

Hmmmm....I've only got a cheapo TW....the kind with a pointer. Never had a bolt come loose on the Bandit, that I know of. Been procrastinating getting a good TW...but seems a $50 unit would suffice...? Nothing on my 250 requires over 180 lb.....

FWIW, A retired aircraft mechanic told me that despite the simplicity of the pointer and flexion of shaft method of torque wrench design, the old fashioned style tends to be more consistent and less error prone. Cheap and reliable can definitely trump fancy and complex.

I'm not poor, but I don't understand why he's so willing to eat five large on this.

I'd be getting a piece of SOMEONE.

Help me out here. Just WHICH "someone" should I be getting a piece of? The knife manufacturer, Morbark, the guy who put the log in the chipper, maybe the steel maker, or the ore importer? I'm a realist; sure, I'd love to be able to get someone else to pony up for the tab, but making that happen is a whole other story. You really think someone is going to just roll over and say, "yup, that's our fault, where do we send the check?"

Of course, that's already being done. I'm just not expecting much to come of it. In the meantime, I need to get it fixed, so that's what I'm doing. Just to clarify from a previous post, the parts will be around 6K if I do it myself and go with the remanufactured drum vs. new; or 11K if the dealer does the repairs.

Help me out here. Just WHICH "someone" should I be getting a piece of? The knife manufacturer, Morbark, the guy who put the log in the chipper, maybe the steel maker, or the ore importer? I'm a realist; sure, I'd love to be able to get someone else to pony up for the tab, but making that happen is a whole other story. You really think someone is going to just roll over and say, "yup, that's our fault, where do we send the check?"

Your telling it like it is. This is real life and the way it will play out. It would cost more than the repairs to the chipper if you tried to fight this out with the help of a lawyer.

This would be a classic case of passing the buck and shirking responsibilty.

Just have to bite the bullet on this one is all. Good luck.

Last time I hired a lawyer, it cost me nearly $80K.

Good luck with all this. I have been in similar situations before and about the best you can expect is a discount on the parts.

That's cheap going for any sort of attorney, especially when you want them to actually do something.
I've never in my life spent $80K on anything. I do not have any point of reference to even comprehend how much money that is.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting all your facts together, and submitting a small claims court case. Most jurisdictions go up to about $5k anyways. No lawyer needed.

Really, all you need to prove is that the blade was not produced to the manufacturer's own specifications.... and from the pictures, I'd guess that to be the case.

I know someone who chipped a choker on a log, and didn't do that kind of damage to their machine. ;)

Don't forget also that the burden of evidence in small claims is different, as well. Noone was hurt (thankfully) and you're not asking for damages from loss of use of the machine. You're just asking for them to pay for the cost to repair the damage that their defective blade caused.

Nevermind the "no warranty expressed or implied" or "liability limited to replacement of the defective blade" limitations you might see on the package, the fact is simply because they SAY they aren't liable for damages don't MAKE it so. (example: You CAN sue a supermarket, and WIN, for damages caused by THEIR shopping carts, despite the disclaimer they have posted all over the place.)

I know someone who chipped a choker on a log, and didn't do that kind of damage to their machine. ;)

True. Only had to replace the knife. 8 feet of grade 70 5/16 chain makes a racket.:D

I got a job once chipping up an old rotten fallen down barn. Ran the boards through a chuck 'n duck. Nails and all. Had to replace the anvil and the knives but that was it.

I hope your kidding Frans:?:?

I won't even run bushes with dirty roots through my chipper.

Since we are chipping bigger diameter wood and working our way closer to the bottom end of trees. I am on the constant lookout for nails sticking out of limbs and other treasures people like to adore trees with. Any unusual looking blemish or odd looking funky wood gets second look for metal. If it is possible for person to reach this spot in tree with a ladder we cut it out and toss it to the side with an X so it doesn't get chipped

Two weeks ago we were doing a job that was a kind of dirty site and somewhat neglected. Cut down a small Cedar and were winching it into the mouth of the chipper. Luckily I saw a the head of a spike that had been nailed into the stem. I don't think this would have agreed with our chipper one bit. Nails for the most part made of soft steel but the thought of chipping one is not a good thing for the knives.

Back