Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Cool!
I've threaded a FS through a couple of topping sprouts that are near each other to share the load, but never thought of making a 'sky hook' type setup like that...have to keep that one in the 'spare tricks bag'.

I would recommend using only a rope to tie the blake's hitch. I use the VT and if you are comfortable and practiced "low and slow" I see no problems, every hitch behaves differently. I still at times (if need to double crotch or move to another tree), will take the end of my climbing line and take a long tail (2-3 feet) and tie an anchor hitch on my bridge and blake's hitch. No extra biners or hitch cord needed. My number one piece of advice is learn to walk away, no shame in safety.

I would recommend using only a rope to tie the blake's hitch. I use the VT and if you are comfortable and practiced "low and slow" I see no problems, every hitch behaves differently. I still at times (if need to double crotch or move to another tree), will take the end of my climbing line and take a long tail (2-3 feet) and tie an anchor hitch on my bridge and blake's hitch. No extra biners or hitch cord needed. My number one piece of advice is learn to walk away, no shame in safety.

Good advice, I have no problem walking away 'cause my wife and son want me to come home every night. ;)

Use caution tying off directly to your bridge, rope on rope can cut itself quick..... :\:

Right now I'm using an extra small rig plate on my bridge, three holes to hook/tie to. :thumbupold:

Ditto learning to tie a system with the tail of your rope...needed that the other day on a spready poinciana, main line and lanyard alone were insufficient in a spreading crown with no good high tie in.

Has anyone already talked about loop runners?
Always carry a couple, they are invaluable for extra footholds on skinny stems with no branches! I always have two on my harness standard...and two spare carabiners

I've started taking advantage of that also, very handy when you need that third system to make the work safer/easier/faster. ;)

I agree on the loop runners, they're invaluable, I don't climb without 'em(and at least one extra 'biner:D).

I had a wake up call recently so I thought I would share. I started a thread called "close call today". My tip is for myself and others. If your overheated, not feeling well, etc.. put off climbing. I almost made a serious mistake by not sticking to my own rules. The tip has been posted on here already but I need to remind myself! Visually check every time you hook you lanyard to your D ring, bridge, or other proper attachment point. I accidentally hooked in to a Petzl Caritool which non load bearing and it broke as I was reaching to unclip and advance my TIP. I was 35' give or take but I would have fell backwards down a tree :( I was blessed, Lucky, or however you choose to call it.

Thanks for the post, it's always good to be reminded of how deadly even the smallest mistake can be while doing tree work! :thumbup:

This may get controversial but. I super agree with keep your spurs Sharp. And when sharpening them use a file. Not an angle grinder. The boss got a set of used Klien's and the tree gaffs on them are ruined because some one used a grinder on them And ground on the tree side of them. . They aren't too bad for peeling bark. But they are horrible to try to walk up a tree with.
Always file from the under side of the gaff.

I agree, I think it was on the Working Climber DVD(set #1)that Mr. Beranek gave some basic care tips for climbing spurs.
I believe that was one of them. Anyway, that's how I've been sharpening mine, been working for me for the past 5 years. :D

I disagree. There are three sides of the gaff to sharpen, and NEVER (thanks, Jerry!) file the spine. Another never - never use a grinder!!! CL is most correct on that point.

Keep your spurs sharp!!!

I disagree. There are three sides of the gaff to sharpen, and NEVER (thanks, Jerry!) file the spine. Another never - never use a grinder!!! CL is most correct on that point.

Keep your spurs sharp!!!

Ya. That makes sense. I would like to say I never step on a rock with my gaff points. Unfortunately I can't
Enough of what I'm doing I have to clamber down off one road or other thru the fireweed and bushes to get to the trees I need to climb. I work hard at not stepping on myself. . But a guy shouldn't walk around with his spurs on.

I still had to get the 2 trees behind me topped. They were to skinny for me to comfortably climb so I had to put pulling lines in them from where I was sitting. Then block all 3 down. The breeze was blowing pretty good and the power lines are maybe 10' away. It was good for me to take a break and get set for the next challenges.

Hey guys I'm new here but heres a tip that can be a life saver , always when taking a top out .. take out your mainline!! getting rigged out of a tree is not ideal.

I've started taking advantage of that also, very handy when you need that third system to make the work safer/easier/faster. ;)

I agree on the loop runners, they're invaluable, I don't climb without 'em(and at least one extra 'biner:D).

Just in case anybody doesn't know this little trick, if you clip the sling into the biner (forming one 'end'), grab the other end and twist several times, and clip the second 'end' of the loop and clip. It will ride better on your harness, shorter and less tangling, and you can generally use one hand to free the second strand of the sling from the biner when you need to install.

Back