Bad chainsaw habits

I guess correct spelling is different then... Perhaps "course"?

Yes, course is the correct word. You wrote "curse", which according to google, means "förbannelse" in Swedish. It might be closer to the correct meaning. ;)

Jay, I don't do any formal teaching but I like to make sure that my local friends get an education in American slang.

"Dude! Bummer!" They got it. :D

There's actually lots of Canadian-Chinese here. I guess before the handover back to China, lots of locals got Canadian passports and bugged out of Hong Kong. Years later a lot of them have come back with their kids speaking perfect Canadian English.

Noone's called me a hoser yet, though.

We have lots of everybody over here. Lol. Lots of Chinese. My parents had a Chinese exchange student live with them for 2 or 3 years. His dad came and 'inspected' the house with his translator. We called his son Lucas, traditional Chinese name I assume. He was a highly educated hardworking and focused individual. A really nice guy, I was impressed with his work ethic.

Do you see a difference in work ethic over there Leon?

Yes definitely a different work ethic Justin. People put in looong hours here. It's not uncommon for folks to leave the office at 8pm or later. Outside laborers tend to work more consistent 8-9 hour days, but they are usually putting in at least 6 days a week, sometimes 7.

On the other hand I have noticed that efficiency is not as stressed here as it is in North America.

Any pro that operates without back up trimming and felling saws?

Well then they ain't really pros are they?

Well yu see my saw won't start sir, and it's gettin late, and my feet are sore,,,,,

Could you advance me some cash for gas in my pickup?

Jomo

Ain't gonna fly in commercial tree removal when there's a 120 ton hydrocrane rental waitin on you to make the cuts mate.

Jomo

Any pro that operates without back up trimming and felling saws?

Well then they ain't really pros are they?

Well yu see my saw won't start sir, and it's gettin late, and my feet are sore,,,,,

Could you advance me some cash for gas in my pickup?

Jomo
Agreed, you don't have to have two of each but say the 560 goes you can use the 372 or if that goes go up to a 288 or whatever or back down to the 560.
I'm talking about climbing tree work mind not logging, I know very little about that!

Climbers here rarely have saws over 50cc up in trees.

I haven't met one yet that has back up saw. Ground workers not counted.
They rarely have backup saws but usually bigger that sit and can be used when needed.

We always have at least one backup saw on logging sites.
Sucks to lose ½ a days wages because you have to run your saw to the repairshop.

The customers i have don't loose work hrs on repairs unless they drop a tree on them or run them over.
I think that happened once on ten years I have been at this.
Loosing two hrs work is cheaper than running two saws.

Worn out saws used for backup that sit six months and then are expected to start when ever needed?
It don't work real well...

Most pro's come here after work and put their saw here to be done at evening or morning. If not they grab a loaner and come back day after.
Usually it is no big things as they trade saws often. HVA runners I don't have many that is full time loggers.
Stihl users I have as well as Dolmar and one Jonsereds guy...
I train them hard and they listen as they see saw account is about half size than before.

Know what you mean Magnus but my least liked saws (a stihl 271 and the old 076) always get a run out every three weeks or so to keep em interested.

Crazy. I have a ton of spares. 2 climbers, 2 460's, and a 660 are on the truck everyday. I've got a spare 66 and about six other mid size saws and a handful of climbing saws. That's for one crew. I rotate them through sometimes and the odd one gets a issue now and then but they also last for years and years.

I was shocked my old Echo top handle 3400 fired up after sitting close to a year. I used it for a couple tanks and will try to remember to run it now and then. One thing about Echos, they don't want to die.

If you use spare the one it replace is no good! Should be no need for a pro to haul a saw collection around to do his work.

If you are good on service and take care of it it should be no issues the first 1500hrs.
After that a repair cost + stand time + your time + other costs involved gets pretty high.

I carry 2 climbing saws, a 441 and a 460. I've only had to call in a bigger saw once in ten years to buck up a big willow.

Planning on adding a 660 sometime now that I'm getting into logging, but not in a big yank for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
. One thing about Echos, they don't want to die.

I agree. It's what I started off using in 1990. But I haven't seen a prosumer model in years. What I see is those heavy HD saws that -well, you know, aren't made like they used to be. I've been using Stihl since 2003 and I like them. But I'd totally go Echo again if I could at least see and hold a professional model.

Any recommendations?

Worn out saws used for backup that sit six months and then are expected to start when ever needed?
It don't work real well...

I don't see why not, Magnus.
A saw, fueled with alkylate should be the same 6 months after it is set aside and start right up.
At least that has been my experience.

I wasn't necessarily talking about keeping an old worn-out spare in the truck.
Since I'm a firm believer in never carrying a saw that is too big for the job, I have saws of pretty near all sizes.
So having an extra on hand is no big deal.

You are right about the " Drop them off after work and pick them up next morning" deal.
That is the kind of service I expect from a pro shop, and the main reason I run only Stihl.

Back