Back to the Sequoias

Great photos, Jerri and Terri. I'm curious, to your knowledge have those trees been documented and listed somewhere, an official record?

Was just there last month, when hardly anyone was around.

Hadn't seen this tree in 25 years, and noticed it was quite a bit bigger. Nah, just kidding.

This may sound weird, information about them coming from a foreigner, but I have spent a lot of time in the Sequoias and even more doing research.

Take the trail out to Washington tree.
You won't meet any people ( At least I never have, only 2 black bears) and it'll take you through some wonderful trees.
Washington tree used to be the world's 3rd largest until a fire in the canopy ( Not the first one, it used to have a HUGE cavity 'bout 2/3 up) made it break down.
The trunk is still there and it is out of sight BIG. Whereas all the other big ones like Grant or Sherman are fenced in, you can go pet Washington and have your picture taken next to a tree trunk that defies imagination.

If you go early in the morning, you may have the luck to see a bear.

One of my favourite places ( Cause I'm a logger) is Converse basin.
That is where the Sanger logging company made a clear cut back in the late 1800.
The stumps are still there.
I calculated one to be at about 150 cubic meters.
That is 3 times the size of the biggest tree in Denmark.
Ask for directions at headquareters.
Once you go out that way, might as well go to the end of the road and hike out to the Boole tree.
When Sanger clear cut the area, it was left behind, because they thought it was "the World's biggest tree"
It is standing all alone in a bunch of secong growth and the way it is declining, is my best argument against the " Just kill it all and let it re-grow" thinking.
That damned tree just looks so sad.

If you want to see what the area looked like before white man and saws and axes came around, Packsaddle grove is a good choice.
Bit of a drive, and a hike, too.
However. it is really worth it.
Total wilderness. No trails and the understory of Red fir, white fir, whatever fir was totally undisturbed when I was there last.
Now the effing beetle will probably have taken at least the sugar pines out.

If you want more detailed info, write me.
I'm a bit conscious about what I put out on a forum.

Been a long time, but I'd say about 2 hours each way.

Don't mind Butch, he is pathologically afraid of bears.

Was just there last month, when hardly anyone was around.

Hadn't seen this tree in 25 years, and noticed it was quite a bit bigger. Nah, just kidding.

As a matter of fact, a Sequoia that size gains about 4 -5 cubic meters each year.
Doesn't look like much, because the tree is so huge, but imagine that gain in any other tree!

Anything that is stronger than me and could potentially eat me?

I don't call that "afraid."

But you don't know our language well, eh?

:>}

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry, Virginia, been away for a week and missed your message. Get on the Congress trail and hike your feet off. Now, to get on the Congress Trail just go to the General Sherman Tree. The trail head is there. It will take you to the Washington Tree, and about 100 other monsters up near 30 foot in diameter. It's a bit early and there may be snow on the trail. Enjoy!!!

Back