August Hunicke Videos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Jer, Cory, Black paint was from a themed video I did quite a while back. it was for a YouTube fan-turned-friend who sent me a brand-new 200t at no charge. One of my earlier "production" videos. Customized saw for the video. I don't remember what it's called. and I guess I don't know how to post it from my phone very well according to Butch. ; )

great work all the way around august!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would like to see that custom saw vid,butch will fix it if u can't post :wav::goodjob:

Damn straight.

This is what the LZ (of that spear top) looked like.

Attachments

• dead pine 015.jpg
    dead pine 015.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 58
August: No one can measure my jealously over your 200t or your cinematographic prowess. Insanely good stuff. FWIW we call that cut a "stove-pipe." You can take some nasty whips from the branch tips when you do it wrong. :|:

Hey, can I ask why you used those sapwood cuts when you fell that Pondo stob? Where you guys gonna mill up that log or something? I thought that the only reason that anyone would ever do that is to minimize fiber pull for the mill. I've seen clips of tons of German faller types doing that. I've always wondered why arbos would ever do it. I've done it a few times up in the tree when I was a younger climber, when I was scared that the pulling cambium might try to pull down on my flipline, but I now think that it is always unnecessary. Does everyone here agree or disagree? Why'dja do it man, August? Why?

August: No one can measure my jealously over your 200t or your cinematographic prowess. Insanely good stuff. FWIW we call that cut a "stove-pipe." You can take some nasty whips from the branch tips when you do it wrong. :|:

Hey, can I ask why you used those sapwood cuts when you fell that Pondo stob? Where you guys gonna mill up that log or something? I thought that the only reason that anyone would ever do that is to minimize fiber pull for the mill. I've seen clips of tons of German faller types doing that. I've always wondered why arbos would ever do it. I've done it a few times up in the tree when I was a younger climber, when I was scared that the pulling cambium might try to pull down on my flipline, but I now think that it is always unnecessary. Does everyone here agree or disagree? Why'dja do it man, August? Why?
I was wondering on the last question as well.

Jed, when cutting these fibrous pondos close to the character grain of the stump flare, ESPECIALLY if they are brushed out poles that lack they're original mass and weight, they can suddenly lurch left or right and go well off the gunned mark when the cuts meet up on the stump. If grandmom's china was out there I would make a wide-open face cut and eliminate the possibility of the cuts meeting up before the tree is totally committed. However, snipping the sides (If they are basically straight up and down or leaning straight toward or away from the lay) guards against the hinge wood on each side of the hinge (where it has the most authority) exerting strange and unforeseen force just when you think you've got it made. The distance to cut in the sides, in this case was the depth of the bar, but that distance will vary with the diameter of the wood.
Here are a couple pictures of the actual stump from that video. . . Assuming you are referring to the video I titled "Hinge Wood."
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415431046.551408.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415431065.534809.jpg

This is also a cut that can guard against a barber-chair on heavily leaning wood, although I didn't do it for that reason in this video.

great work all the way around august!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would like to see that custom saw vid,butch will fix it if u can't post :wav::goodjob:

Thank you, here is the video. It's right around when I first got into GoPro video. Just a video of a pine removal in a very tight spot. I did all the climbing and lowering myself. It has an appearance in the video as if I could have speed lined, but it was just tight enough with little trees and whatnot to hamper an efficient speed line operation.
By the way Butch, I looked into it and this is the only way to share a link on TH from my iPhone via Tapatalk app. The link shows up great within the app.

http://youtu.be/kwaYKLxTWO4

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kwaYKLxTWO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting Cory, when you guys imbed them that way they don't show up in the tap a talk app at all. Just looks like a blank post.

Hmm. Shows up here for us puter folks, at least.

thanks august I enjoyed that!!!!!
I like when you kick the limbs you seem to do that on a lot of your vids
I want to try that but I usually wimp out and just use the saw...
I only been climbing for a year or so, weekend warrior.
its all I can think about.(little scarey I know)anyway thanks for sharing:thumbup:

Now that was a real answer August. Thank you very much. Perfect sense, and I had never even thought about the variable--and often diagonal--wood-grain down there misdirecting a stob, although Gerry has doubtless mentioned it somewhere... Thanks. :thumbup:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kwaYKLxTWO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cory! You beat me to it... I thought I was the biggest AugHun fan :/:

:)

Soooooo many cool things happen in that vid that are tricky to notice.

Stubs can react to the slightest error in a falling cut far quicker than a full size tree ever would with its momentum to help keep it going on gunn.

Sure Jer... I got the broken sidewalk AND the smashed Japanese Maple to prove it! :|:

Bix: I think he means that the power of the holding wood in the stub is so immense compared to the almost negligible top weight that, when the face closes, if you don't have a wide enough opening like August pointed out, or if you don't saw perfectly... there goes the lady's Jap Maple.

I rarely cut the corners, much prefer to cut deep and gut the hinge. 2 Cats skinned differently I suppose...

Back