Are you in your PRIME?

5-10 sides is 5-10 different logging jobs, all based around one logging camp.

I guess he meant with all those sides, there are alot of loggers, with the likelihood therefore of alot of brawlic timber beasts.

While we're on the subject, how does one start a bore cut one handed with any size saw much less a big, long-barred saw??

I worked camps all up and down our coast as far north as the northern tip of the charlottes. Largest one had over 300 guys

I'm not huge but I ain't skinny either. And I can't wield a huge saw one handed unless it's already in the cut.

Oh the relevant part is back when I was high leading was my physical prime for certain. 185 of pure unfatigueable muscle. I could rig a setting and hook beads like no tomorrow.

Now that I'm 55 I feel I'm still in good shape and can still deadlift 315 lbs for 20 reps of sets of 3 with 2 minute rest and still have no body aches. But damn my mind is working so much better now:lol:
......you get to a age where most of the time all you think about is all the stupid things you have done all your life...... with regret.;)

I credit my lower body strength and upper secondly from falling timber by piecework in 2 -3 feet of snow 6 mths of the year, kicking aside the snow to get a ground level stump ,did that in my developing years from age 16 to 20 years later.
No wedges either, just rocked and pushed the back leaners over.

I shoveled for a handfaller when I was younger. The snow gets deep in the mountains around here. That sucked for the one winter I did it.

I'd like to be a cook in one of those camps. Those guys would love my chow!
Butch I have many fond memories of the cooks and cookees from the camps I lived in. Steak and shrimp every Thursdays and fish and chips on Fridays when everyone goes home for the weekend.

We had one tough cook who was a big French Canadien from Quebec, Jacque was his name. One night he went into the kitchen to check things out and found a big black bear eating his pies. In a fury he grabbed the fire axe off the wall , cornered the bear and killed it in a bloody mess. The cookees and bull cook had to work OT that nite cleaning things up.

Now that I'm 55 I feel I'm still in good shape and can still deadlift 315 lbs for 20 reps of sets of 3 with 2 minute rest and still have no body aches. .

Thats some good stats there. Deadlifting is a good indicator of strength and stamina as it uses so many muscle groups, and can be referenced with what you weigh. How big / heavy are you? I do 4 sets of 12 12 10 8. Been out of it for a while, so currently at 275lbs. I weigh about 190lbs. I can do a set of 3 at over 400lbs.

Most people are stronger than they realize....but the body tells us not to overdo some things. Some individuals don't have the auto-limiter function and some are also abnormally strong. My dad used to do some things that were pretty over the top.....and I had an uncle who would bend sharp 90s in 3/16 steel rod over his thumb. Cold claims some extreme stuff. All is well. I think a fight with him I will not pick.

A friend of mine's dad was a hod carrier. Hell of an occupation but that was what he did, I think about his entire working life. He would carry a scoop of mortar in each hand and go up a ladder to deliver to the guys that needed it, in the days when that was the method. He was an incredibly strong man, which I think is why he did that job, since it was like working out all day, his passion. He hardly ever wore a shirt. In later life his back was seriously ruined, sadly.

Thats some good stats there. Deadlifting is a good indicator of strength and stamina as it uses so many muscle groups, and can be referenced with what you weigh. How big / heavy are you? I do 4 sets of 12 12 10 8. Been out of it for a while, so currently at 275lbs. I weigh about 190lbs. I can do a set of 3 at over 400lbs.
Thor, I always believed if a person needed to do 2 weight training exercises it would be deadlifts and pullups and that's all I have done for years now, twice a week.
I'm 5' 11", 205 lb, but now 195 since I have gone gluten and dairy free for the last several months. I have lost some power because of this diet so my rest rate between sets is presently 5 minutes rather then my previous 2. Max weight 1 rep on the deadlift I don't do. I did do close to 500 lb years ago in a last minute entry in a power lifting competition with no training for max rep. I remember on that day I did 13 reps with 225 in the bench press, but the other guys were blowing me away with 40 reps or more.
I was blessed with short legs[30" inseam] and long upper body [77" wing spread reach] so deadlifts are a natural exercise for me. Pullups I take it easy on during my busy tree season , off season I work for 4 sets of 10.

We have a unique power lifting or carrying if you can call it, during our www.trappersfestival.com It's called flour packing and the unbroken record is 1200 lbs carried on the shoulders and back for 30 feet or more. I carried 500lbs once for 50 ft on grass just to try it out and it is DEAD weight

I'm 6ft and about 190lbs. I'm disadvantaged in deadlifts cause I have LONG legs. But hell, it's great exercise. I leg press repeated sets at 450lbs. My Bench is very poor, despite having a 46" chest. Sets at about 120lbs.

Wholly agree on pullups and deadlifts though. I need to get a pullup bar installed. Arnold Shwarznegger was asked if all could have was 1 piece of equipment to train on, what would it be - He says pull up bar over anything else.

I dunno. A broken bottle in the guts. fingers gouged into the eyes. Biting someones ear off. That's what really hurts.
How true, also I'll add....... bring your fists to a gunfight is not a good plan.
Here's a good video of our flour packing competiton, these guys are carrying upwards of around 1000 pounds, I'm told you need a strong neck to do this competiton.
http://www.[B]youtube.com[/B]/watch?v=V5EdPA+XL5U

How true, also I'll add....... bring your fists to a gunfight is not a good plan.
Here's a good video of our flour packing competiton, these guys are carrying upwards of around 1000 pounds, I'm told you need a strong neck to do this competiton.
http://www.[B]youtube.com[/B]/watch?v=V5EdPA+XL5U
Can't seem to get that link to work.

Try www.trappersfestival.com
click on "welcome" then click on "videos" on next page's left hand sidebar, then click on the flourpacking video 2nd from bottom.
My chainsaw competiton video is below it.

Back