Are you in your PRIME?

I am in the best shape I've ever been in at 38 but in terms of tree work, I peaked at 31. Both in terms of production and income. Making more than any other climber I've run across killed it for me so I move on to other challenges rather than get into the not climbing part of materials management, etc. Somewhere in there, I lost the love for the job and became a mercenary. It killed the job for me. If you're in it for the money, there are easier ways than trees....

Still, when I do tree work, I am as good as I ever was. The main difference is that I just don't GAS and inherently break fence boards and crush landscape plants. I just don't care about adding 2-3 hrs of rigging to a job to save potential damage to a $20-30 plant or board. I trend towards showing up, burying ground help, and then GTFO. My care and want to be zero impact aren't there. Now I approach a tree like a pit bull let off the chain or a bull in a China shop. I go up, tree comes down, I GTFO and let others sort it out. Bad attitude and why I do less and less tree work.

I feel like I am in my prime for getting work done right now at 44. However 10 years ago I was way stronger and had better cardio but now I have more toys. Wheel loader, conehead and Wraptor sure do pick up the production. I have never rolled through work like we do now:)

Fun to read these responses, Paul, treetx, and treesmith

I think I was in my prime about the same time Axl was too. I think I am happier than him now, though.

Attachments

• xf7989bd35375e69f23724224b5bc4a73.jpg
    xf7989bd35375e69f23724224b5bc4a73.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 68
Turning 51 this October, I will say I still kill it and will be in my prime mabey at 60+ when I grow up...lol :lol:

At 66, I am a little past my prime as a climber. Probably peaked in early 40's. At 48 I came in 3rd in ISA Prairie Chapter TCC. The two that beat me were Dwayne Neustadter and Chris ?. Between them they represented PC in 14 International Competitions, I've been told. I used the old school techniques of climbing in that one. As to other tree work, I think I can still outdo a lot of the young'uns at rigging and even brush dragging. At least I seem to at work. I do know some more efficient ways of leveraging a load, that makes me look good

I have always said that I will work as long as it is still fun. When it becomes work, I will find something else to do. A big part of a person's prime is the result of your attitude and desire.

I do know some more efficient ways of leveraging a load, that makes me look good

I have always said that I will work as long as it is still fun. When it becomes work, I will find something else to do. A big part of a person's prime is the result of your attitude and desire.

:thumbup:

Prime for me was just a few years ago at 40. A sore back from overdoing it in my youth catches me at the end of the day if I push it. Productive wise I feel in my prime.

Hmm. While physically I was better in my 20's and 30's I learned a lot and probably was at my best climbing in my mid 40's Now at 50 I can probably get more work done than ever.....but I hurt some and climbing much just blows me out.

I'm 41 and feeling slightly slower but my technique at everything I do is better and more intelligent so I actually don't get as tired as I used to.

I would add recovery time to production as the measure. It certainly becomes a factor with age and use when doing very physical work.

As a logger I probably peaked around age 50. But then I've always kept myself in good shape.
I've been bothered by an old back injury for some 20 years, that really slowed me down some.
Then about 8-9 years ago for some weird reason, my back stopped bothering me. That was like being young again and I really speeded up production.Pretty miraculous, really.
I can still outlog the two youngsters I work with and do it occasionally, just to show who's top dog, but I pay the price afterwards.

As climber, I'm probably at my peak. Simply because I spent too many years doing old school.
After I wised up 10 years ago and got modern, climbing has gotten soooooooo much easier.

Back