Anyone used this, Arborol.

Now those tires brings up something interesting .If a person could ever figure out how to cost effectively recycle a tire and patent the process you could make billions .

Each tire has something in excess of a gallon of raw crude oil in it not to mention the steel belting .As of yet though the cost to recycle exceeds the value of the raw material obtained from doing so .

But Al, I already have! By burning them, there IS no cost of recycling, and the thick black smoke blocks sunlight from reaching the earth thereby slowing the effects of global warming. Its perfect! I'm brilliant! :lol:

oil on the gravel roads, I havent seen that in years around here but I do remember it, used to get gooey stuff all over my bike tires and fenders.

We recycle cans and stuff and I am a lights and heater nazi, I turn'em off when we arent in the room etc. I also charge my electronic devices (where possible) off the computer USB rather than plugging their adapters in to the wall, or I charge them in the truck off the lighter plug. Little stuff but hey, if 5 million people did the same, wouldnt it make a difference in consumption? :)

As for bar oil, I buy the stihl stuff and try not to spill.

thick black smoke blocks sunlight from reaching the earth thereby slowing the effects of global warming. Its perfect! I'm brilliant! :lol:
--also unrealistic .

I guess they do use a certain amount of recycled ground up rubber in asphault in some cases . The reground roadway asphault however as mandated under the feds doesn't last as long as newly mixed stuff .

That probably sounded like a good idea at the time but has proven to be just a money maker for companies involved in road building .None of this surprises me .

We had a tire burning facility locally. It was shut down after their 1 million tire pile was hit by lightening and caught on fire.

Yeah, we get a little lightening storm here about once every two years and it has to hit up there. It was a very high tech plant and I thought was a perfect fit for the area. I don't know why it was shut down because the plant was not affected by the fire.

The point I'm getting from all of this is that as long as I don't pollute as much as someone else, then I'm golden! Cool! :D

We had a tire burning facility locally. It was shut down after their 1 million tire pile was hit by lightening and caught on fire.
Some time back I believe in Winchester Virginia the worlds then largest tire repository caught fire .

The crude oil rolled down the hill like it was a river and was retrieved . I forgot but it seems like it took months to get the fire under control .

It's really a problem what to do with the things . They must likely could be burnt for heat if a method to preserve the air quality could be maintained .

It seems to me that has not happened so far in a cost effective way . Perhaps fluidized suspended combustion might be the answer . If it works for coal it might work for old tires .

Al, this one also ran oil from the bottom of the burn. The Fire Dept was going to let it burn itself out (it was projected to take a year) but some activists from the community got Congressman Gary Condit involved and he got the ball rolling on the Feds to take action. After a few days this oil caught on fire also and the smoke was huge. After they got the oil fire put out and the tirepile fire slowed down because all the ash from the tires on top inhibited oxygen flow to the tires underneith. My local fire dept. had primary responsibility for this fire, but it was way out of our ability to control. The EPA and the Coast Guard took over and contracted with IT Corporation and they put out the oil fire shipped in a huge hydraulic excavator from Texas (they grow 'em big there). The excavator would grab a bucket full of tires, some firemen with a foam setup would squirt them until they were out and they were moved to a pond and dunked to make sure they didn't reignite and then they were hauled away. I wasn't up there after this but I understand that they got several of these excavators going. This went on 24/7 for a month or so. The Feds also brought in a bulldozer and they built a dam in the canyon a little down from the fire to catch the oil at first, then a mixture of the oil and soapy water. 3.5 million dollars was spent by the EPA to extinguish this fire. Any contaiminated dirt from the fire was later hauled to a toxic waste dump in Kettleman City. I think it took about a week to get this operation started and I don't know how long it went on. The Feds then tried to recoup the money for putting out the fire from the landowners who were the owners of the tire pile and also from the owners of the plant which was owned by Modesto Energy Limited Partnership. It was a big mess partly because the landowner had started using the tires initially to fill in washed out gulches and then there was such a big market for tire shops to dispose of tires he set up a business gathering them and stockpiling them on the idea that someday they would be a resource. He did all of this without a operating permit from any govt. agency as he is one of those maverick type guys who wasn't going to be told what to do. When he had someoe interested in building the plant he then wanted to get a permit from the county and they weren't so receptive. Story is that the cops were called several times in his meetings with the county guys as he would reach over the table, grab them by the shirt and pull them over the table to emphasize an important point. After a couple of those incidents he would just send his lawyers to the meetings. The guy was about 6'4" and 300 lbs or so and had this booming loud voice. He bought a large sheep ranch in Lovelock Nevada during this time and moved there and I'm not really sure what kind of settlement, if any was ever made. He sold his ranch up there a few years after this incident. There were also some health related lawsuits over the smoke from all the people whom you would expect these kind of suits and if memory serves me they all got a few hundred dollars. The landowner (Ed Filbin) made millions from the sale of the tire pile and renting the land to the energy corp. and I think his insurance company paid $800,000 and something of the cost of extinguishing the fire.

Why would mineral oil be bad? Oil in its nature is organic, isn't? Oil is decomposed organic matter (i.e. tees), no?

However, I will not throw out the idea that it is a marine pollutant. I can understand that.

But, conventional bar oil came from the earth. If it returns to the earth, I don't think I have a problem with that.

Has there been conclusive studies that chainsaw bar oil is making any significant changes or decline for our planet?

I'm not buying the propaganda either. Someone is just trying to make money. :/:

Why would mineral oil be bad? Oil in its nature is organic, isn't? Oil is decomposed organic matter (i.e. tees), no?

However, I will not throw out the idea that it is a marine pollutant. I can understand that.
That's pretty much the conclusion most of us have came up with .

To say you don't have alkylate fuel in US is not correct.
It is made there and if requested should be possible to market.

The reasons why it is not marketed in US is a bit fuzzy.
Most claim that the additional fuel cost of about 10% is the real reason.
But from reading here and other sites that it is possible to sell a worse product and just say it is good and environmental at a good deal higher price, I must say I doubt that greatly...

Al this one also ran oil from the bottom of the burn The Fire Dept was going to let it burn itself out (it was projected to take a year) but some activists from the community got Congressman Gary Condit involved and he got the ball rolling on the Feds to take action After a few days this oil caught on fire also and the smoke was huge After they got the oil fire put out and the tirepile fire slowed down because all the ash from the tires on top inhibited oxygen flow to the tires underneith My local fire dept. had primary responsibility for this fire, but it was way out of our ability to control The EPA and the Coast Guard took over and contracted with IT Corporation and they put out the oil fire shipped in a huge hydraulic excavator from Texas (they grow 'em big there) The excavator would grab a bucket full of tires, some firemen with a foam setup would squirt them until they were out and they were moved to a pond and dunked to make sure they didn't reignite and then they were hauled away I wasn't up there after this but I understand that they got several of these excavators going. This went on 24/7 for a month or so The Feds also brought in a bulldozer and they built a dam in the canyon a little down from the fire to catch the oil at first, then a mixture of the oil and soapy water 3.5 million dollars was spent by the EPA to extinguish this fire Any contaiminated dirt from the fire was later hauled to a toxic waste dump in Kettleman City I think it took about a week to get this operation started and I don't know how long it went on The Feds then tried to recoup the money for putting out the fire from the landowners who were the owners of the tire pile and also from the owners of the plant which was owned by Modesto Energy Limited Partnership It was a big mess partly because the landowner had started using the tires initially to fill in washed out gulches and then there was such a big market for tire shops to dispose of tires he set up a business gathering them and stockpiling them on the idea that someday they would be a resource He did all of this without a operating permit from any govt. agency as he is one of those maverick type guys who wasn't going to be told what to do When he had someoe interested in building the plant he then wanted to get a permit from the county and they weren't so receptive Story is that the cops were called several times in his meetings with the county guys as he would reach over the table, grab them by the shirt and pull them over the table to emphasize an important point After a couple of those incidents he would just send his lawyers to the meetings The guy was about 6'4" and 300 lbs or so and had this booming loud voice He bought a large sheep ranch in Lovelock Nevada during this time and moved there and I'm not really sure what kind of settlement, if any was ever made He sold his ranch up there a few years after this incident There were also some health related lawsuits over the smoke from all the people whom you would expect these kind of suits and if memory serves me they all got a few hundred dollars The landowner (Ed Filbin) made millions from the sale of the tire pile and renting the land to the energy corp. and I think his insurance company paid $800,000 and something of the cost of extinguishing the fire

No paragraphs is almost as bad as no periods. ;)

The argument that because it comes from the earth then it isn't harmful to the earth cracks me up. I burn oil, fling oil from chainsaws, use natural resources in all sorts of ways. I don't try to fool myself into thinking it's not harmful in anyway, it's the cost of doing business.

There are plenty of natural substances that are "bad". Azalea leaves are poisonous. So are many forms of mushrooms. Boron gas is natural but you don't want it leaching into your house.

Is petroleum oil natural? To some extent, but it undergoes processing and chemical additives are added. But, even if we ignore that, and assume that the earth could reprocess it with out harm, it's the act of moving it from it's "natural" location (underground oil resevoirs) to an "unatural" location (waterways, aquifers, on top of food sources) that is dangerous.

But, I do agree that all the bar oil in the world probably doesn't add up to enough to make the slightest bit of difference. Plenty of other high value targets around.

Unless you plan on taking your bicycle to work when you run your saw, there are bigger consumers of fossil fuels you could think of before worrying about this.

Bar oil should be quite a bit down on the "to do list" of the environmentally correct.

What country's use most fossil fuels/individual?
What do they do about it?

There are several International/Global agreements that is effective and do good. They try to reduce the use of fossil fuels. Have you read about the many attempts that has been made to get USA involved in this? All has been without result as it is a Money issue, not environmental.

The use of fossil fuels has to be reduced, I fully agree, but to talk about bar oil in this discussion is just ridiculous.

Back