Anyone used this, Arborol.

The interesting thing about topics like "Save The Planet", etc., is that quite often the motivation is not literal concern for the planet, but either power/control and money...or a combination of them. I am also in the roofing business, and once the local health department guy and I were discussing what I should tell the occassional old-timer who wanted me to dump the torn-off shingles in a gulley to stop washing. He said that it was illegal because the EPA was concerned that the residual crude oil in the asphalt shingles would "leach out into and contaminate the water supply." I said, "Yeah, I've noticed that at the landfill they push them into a pit and bury them. That should keep it out of the water supply." His reply was that the ground at the landfill had been "approved" for a landfill, and that it was so hard that water just ran off of it. Political jargon or what? Point is, the county took county citizens' money, bought up land that citizens could have owned and developed, and then charges the citizens money to dump on same land.

As an interesting sidenote, you can order a truck-load of shingle cut-outs (the little pieces cut out to make a 3-tab shingle) and have them dumped on your driveway or parking lot. I don't guess that would contaminate any groundwater. H.m.m.m..........

Not to mention there's how many miles of asphalt highway in this country? Seems to me that asphalt is asphalt is asphalt. All of it uses crude oil or some petroleum derivative in its production. Rain don't run off of highways....? Like I said money/power or power/money. That's what it's all about.

Yup, the runoff from billions of miles of blacktop is fine but the bar lube flinging off my saw bar is going to hurt the environment? Gimmie a frikkin break! :roll:

---- not to mention the billions of gallons of tramp oil that gets flung on the roadways . Good heavens if it could be recovered it would likely run the country for a month .

there a few new bio oils out there......tried canola, wasn't that great. Using walmart junk now. I about bout 50 gallons of bio oil when dude quoted me price of 360......went to go get it and then it 500somethjing:X

Come 2012 we should all know whether or not any effort is worth a hoot.

So some say.

Y2K, Global warming, planet X. I recall back in the 70's the big scare was global cooling. Leading experts back then swore the planet was headed for an ice age. That lasted for about 10 years. and then slowly shifted over to "Oh, I think it's warming up now."

Well then if we make it to 2013 we'll know they were pulling our leg .If not we wouldn't know the difference anyway .

Eat drink and make merry .Not to be confused with Mary .She might get mad and leave or on the other hand ---:|:

So many of the things that people do to 'help the environment' are akin to going to church twice a year. It's for your conscience and nothing else, don't fool yourself.

You're right, Brett. Doing something totally useless is much better than doing nothing at all. I'm going to jump up and down until I generate my own electricity through static resistance so I can cut my reliance on 'foreign oil' and 'save the environment'. Never mind the fact that it doesn't work, it makes me feel good to proclaim myself as 'green' and scoff at non believers because I'm more environmentally aware than they are. Just look at them, burning all that oil. :roll:

This about sums up the Bullshit involved in recycling.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-1444391672891013193&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

i was wondering if the (non tacky looking) soluble oil cooled the bar or the fact that the bar was under water half the time he was cutting did it. i was also disgusted at how he was throwing all that saturated fat in the water, the fish will have heart attacks!

I'm not arguing that veggie oil isn't better for the environment, it's just that for the only measurable net result of every chainsaw user to switch from petrol based to plant based oil would be faster wear on bars and chains et al, causing higher necessary production of these items.

It's the same thing as hybrids vehicles. If people really were committed to 'helping the environment' they would drive a well maintained and repaired 1985 Toyota Tercel or something like it. But they're not, so they drive a Escalade Hybrid which they trade in every other year, a vehicle and practice that is enormously damaging to the environment not to mention the current state of the auto industry.

I don't at all disagree with small measures to do what an individual can, but too often these practices are misguided and counterproductive. There's no end of examples.

Kinda like the folks you see driving around to stop and pick up aluminum cans. Don't get me wrong...if you pick up cans, more power to ya. Nothing wrong with that and the roadways can use the help. But when you burn four or five gallons of gas running around to pick up two pounds of cans, something ain't right. I try to be conservative in energy usage, not so much to save the energy, but to save the money it costs to use that energy. I pay the light bill here, and I like it to stay below $100...alas, with the recent rate hikes, that won't last much longer. I don't trade vehicles every year, nor would I start if I struck it rich, which ain't likely. I have nothing against vehicles with 150k-200k miles on them as long as they're still dependable. My 1995 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 has about 145k on it and I'm almost done reinstalling the engine after a rebuild. $500 for parts was far more appealling than $500 a month for the next five or six years for a new one. I've got a 1998 GMC Z71 (family truck) that I've been working out of while rebuilding the engine in the other. The Z's got 182,000 miles on it and still runs fine. As a matter of fact, none of my vehicles has less than 100k miles on them, except my 1980 GMC 1-ton dump truck, and it looks far worse than any other vehicle I own. I guess if I ran out and bought me a new Hummer and a new dually for a work truck and a new car for my wife, I would need to recycle to ease my wasteful conscience.

It's a lot like reloading. I got into reloading about ten years ago to "save" money. Since then, I've "saved" so much on ammo that I have reloading paraphernalia all over the place. Boxes of new brass and bullets just waiting to be loaded so money can be "saved." One can shoot cheaper by reloading, but if saving money is the issue, shoot a .22 and "save" money.

Discuss bar oil like if it is better with the veg stuff..
Well, let me tell you it is not!

Spend your energy in getting better fuels to your saws instead.
I find it really strange no one uses Alkylate fuel and talk about environment and veggie oil!

So what do the environmentally correct put in the saws?

No matter what wedo or say we are here on limited times.
Earth is no diffrent from other planets and has its lifespan like everything else.

Preventing global warming is not just impossible but would be a global disaster. Earth has seasons/cycles and change is a constant thing.
There is nothing we can or should do about that.

Mankind may not survive next iceage, but that is a thing we will havto try to think about a bit more as it will be more regardless of what we do.
To stop that would be like preventing winter, if you think globally and not from our point of view but from earths...
Earth is young still, it has a long time left and man is just a pimple in the butt.

I am not saying we should ruin anything or waste like we do, but using the recurses we have more wisely and learn more would be a great thing.
In the minds we have today, consuming and buying is everything it is the way things work. Money here and values there, but when the shit hits the fan and we look around to see what is really important... I doubt it will be the tv or wallet we grasp first!

I met a true environmentalist. He lived in the woods in a small cabin, living as it was intended acc to his views. He did not have access to any media or was very interested in it as it currupted and poluted his mind he said.

I buy his version over the mineral/veggie oil any day!

So... What will we sacrificve of ouer lifestyles for the envirment?
Car's, Electricety, Boats, Airplanes!!!!???

The Alkylate fuel is nonexistent in the USA. It is not an option for us. I've never heard about it except for your posts.

Dang it all, you guys are right! I've been deluding myself all these years. I just came back from burning a bunch of tires in the swamp out back. No sense clogging up the landfill. And I just dumped a bunch of used motor oil out in the pond where it can be "absorbed" by the environment. Silly me; I was going to "recyle" it. :lol: I feel so much better now knowing that everything will be alright and I don't have to do anything to "save" the planet. Thanks guys! ;)

Now those tires brings up something interesting .If a person could ever figure out how to cost effectively recycle a tire and patent the process you could make billions .

Each tire has something in excess of a gallon of raw crude oil in it not to mention the steel belting .As of yet though the cost to recycle exceeds the value of the raw material obtained from doing so .

Say the veggie oil makes your bar last half as long.

Consider...

The resources used to:
Mine the iron ore- diesel fuel, wear on the machines, oil changes on the machines, the production of the machines.

Truck the iron ore to the steel mill- diesel fuel on the trucks, the production of the trucks, the oil changes for the trucks.

Smelt it into steel- Requires an incredible amount of energy to melt the raw iron and process it into steel.

Truck the raw steel to a plant that makes the flat stock-diesel fuel on the trucks, the production of the trucks, the oil changes for the trucks.

Make the flat stock- Thousands of kilowatts to run the huge rolling mills, tons of coal/petroleum used to heat the steel stock up.

Truck the flat stock to the company that's making the bar- diesel fuel on the trucks, the production of the trucks, the oil changes for the trucks.

Machine a bar out of the flat stock- Thousands of kilowatts used in the process of machining and tempering the steel.

Paint the bar- Do I have to point out the myriad of chemicals processed to make paint?

Package the bar- Again, more trees cut down, energy used to make the packaging and ink.

Truck the finished bar to the consumer- diesel fuel on the trucks, the production of the trucks, the oil changes for the trucks.

Doesn't sound easier on the environment to me.

Back