Anybody use Marvin poles?

rumination

Migratory Hippie Arbolist
I've always used Jameson poles wherever I've worked and been really happy with them. However, now that I'm in equipment buying mode for myself I'm trying to economize. The best looking (cheapest) polesaw/pruner head combo I can find is at Bailey's (http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=FM PKG9B) but I've never used Marvin stuff before.

Anybody have any experience with Marvin's products. Are they comparable to the durability of the Jameson poles? Or should I just suck up the cost and order Jameson?

I've got a couple Marvin poles , I don't see any difference between the Yellow Jameson and the Orange Marvin.

The green Jameson are like fishing poles.

I've got the Marvin pruner head and saw head, seems A-OK to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Brendon, that's what I wanted to hear. Do the Marvin and Jameson poles interface with each other?

Sweet, one fat order to Bailey's coming up...including some chains for the brand new 200T I will buying as soon as I get to New Mexico. :D

I think I will avoid running over these poles....don't want to cry a second time after all.

Leon, if you can find someone who sells them, the fixed length fiberglass poles are far superior to the sectioned poles. I have a 10' with a Marvin head and a 12' with a Corona Bull Lopper head. No one will ship the full length poles cheaply but if you can find them in a store they are cheap.

Leon! Good to read you. DO NOT BUY MARVIN poles. The poles themselves are fine but the ferrules are made from a softer aluminum alloy. I experienced far more galling problems and much faster wear at the locking recesses with Marvin poles and eventually wound up replacing all the ferrules with Jameson ferrules. It turned into false economy.

Great to see you back, leon.

The sectional poles really don't last.
i don't know, i never liked them.

i have a 12' polesaw
and a 14' corona big bite.

welcome back!
im with deva, i much prefer one piece poles, nearly impossible to get shipped though

I have kinda got attached to the extend able Jameson head. It is way too flexible for full time use but to pull out of the pick up to make a quick or last cut or to push wires out of the way for bucket or other trucks I like it. I use it for Big shot even though it says not to in Sherrill. Probably guarding against getting sued if it breaks. Works for me.

Not familiar with Marvin poles tho.

Leon! Good to read you. DO NOT BUY MARVIN poles. The poles themselves are fine but the ferrules are made from a softer aluminum alloy. I experienced far more galling problems and much faster wear at the locking recesses with Marvin poles and eventually wound up replacing all the ferrules with Jameson ferrules. It turned into false economy.

Thanks for the advice Justin. But too late, I already ordered them.:(
That's OK, if they get me through this summer it will be a worthwhile investment I'm sure.

I am also a fan of a good solid 10' pole, but trying to get one shipped is way too expensive so I'll make do with the sections for now. Or I could just get a 10' dowel from Home Despot and put a pole saw head on it...

Good to see you back Leon.

I bought ferrules from Jameson and made up wood poles. Bought the long dowels from Home Depot as trying to get long poles to Hawaii is cost prohibitive. I did buy 3 6 ft. Jameson poles from Wesspur a couple of years ago. Those weren't too expensive to ship.

my former boss did that also. he found that priming and painting them kept them from splintering as quick.

I have a couple Marvin poles and a couple Marvin pruner heads, no big complaints. kinda heavy at any angle other than upright, and I havent used the Jameson unit to compare. :)

We have some of the hollow jameson poles and the foam filled ones. The foam ones don't break as easy. I find the ferules get loose and you end up with alot of slop there.

I have used 7 of the 6 footers put together before, kinda like spaghetti but works... One of the guys routinely uses 4 or 5 of them together in a tree...

if ya happen to go thru los angeles area, bishop co is in whittier , azel co is in santa ana, and spyder co is in buena park area, and orange county farm supply ,all of these shops have full length poles in stock, 12' and i believe 14' as well,

the ones from spyder co are pretty goood, (probabally the 1 product of theirs i would buy) thru b and m equip

they are a blue fiberglass tube over a wooden dowel, with a marvin head fixed to it, with an eye at the bottom to hold the rope, custom made jobbers, ya see em on a lot of the trucks down south,
anyone used em?

azel co has a warehouse of the stuff and will cut poles to length,

i make my yearly trip and pick up a handful of poles, and bring them back myself.

I've got two more 12' fiberglass poles hiding in the rafters. I think I can go another year or two before I need to take a road trip.

I have the Jameson poles. A buddy of mine bought a couple Marvin poles from a local saw shop once and they wouldn't connect to the Jameson poles. The ferrules were slightly different, although they looked the same.

As a side note I'm using the Marvin hooktip polesaw blades and they are excellent. They hold an edge much longer than the crap Chinese no-name hooktip blades sold by Sherrill and they cost less as well.

marvin stink....jameson rock.

I use 6' sections. I do have a 6' w/a saw head on top that a friend's wife bought 2 of. i traded him a 6' section for one of them. its in the bucket trck w/o a blade on it as the blade on wont fit w/ the door shut.

Man, ya'll are Marvin haters. Maybe I have been missing something the last 3-4 years usings Marvins instead of Jameson.

Sorry if I mislead you on your purchase Leon, but they really work great since I've had em.

8)