Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

I don't quite get the picture of that Dave...

When using a pulley under the HH, clip your chest harness directly to the bridge ring not the advancing tether. The only thing my tether is used for now is as a corner trap so I made it much smaller.

100_5580.JPG

...after some roof shoveling with similar setup I am now using a rope snap at the lowest point. Captive eye section holds pulley in place as snap allows quick on and off at the bridge.

I recently bought Cougar Blue to use with my HH. I had some Armor Pruss hitch cord and it was perfect but that has now worn out and there doesn't seem to be a stockist anywhere in the world!
So I've tried some 8mm Sirius, 8mm HRC, 8 & 6mm Liros and the fabled 10mm Beeline. The HRC and Beeline are beyond awful because after a metre of descent they bind up so tight I'm stuck!

I've tried all sorts of hitch knots with different configurations and I've varied the closeness of the hitch to the HH but nothing changes.
I'm flummoxed by this and don't know where to turn. I am tying the hitch correctly, the biner isn't worn and I can't imagine the HH is worn out so what next?

Any ideas chaps?
Thanks
Al.

I recently bought Cougar Blue to use with my HH. I had some Armor Pruss hitch cord and it was perfect but that has now worn out and there doesn't seem to be a stockist anywhere in the world!
So I've tried some 8mm Sirius, 8mm HRC, 8 & 6mm Liros and the fabled 10mm Beeline. The HRC and Beeline are beyond awful because after a metre of descent they bind up so tight I'm stuck!

I've tried all sorts of hitch knots with different configurations and I've varied the closeness of the hitch to the HH but nothing changes.
I'm flummoxed by this and don't know where to turn. I am tying the hitch correctly, the biner isn't worn and I can't imagine the HH is worn out so what next?

Any ideas chaps?
Thanks
Al.

....So I've tried some 8mm Sirius, 8mm HRC, 8 & 6mm Liros and the fabled 10mm Beeline. The HRC and Beeline are beyond awful because after a metre of descent they bind up so tight I'm stuck!....I can't imagine the HH is worn out so what next?....

Double check that that the carabiner is not bottoming out in the lower slot when fully weighed. Even the HH can wear out, especially when ropes get wet and gritty.

The other thing to try is less wraps tied short. Those are all good hitch cords that should at least work for you even if not at your preferred level. Have you checked Tree Stuff for Armor-Prus? I have been using 9mm Arb Pro hitch cord and think it is a good one.

I haven't tried Cougar Blue yet but Bee Line Blue and a distel hitch work very well for me with Yale 11.7s, Platinum, and HTP and Fly. I'm ~185 lbs geared up.

Treestuff shows 3 types of Armor-Prus as 'in stock'.

Old mill I saw the pic u posted on arbtalk and it looked like u had 8mm beeline? 8mm in anything doesn't seem to work for me. I've really liked the 10mm original beeline on cougar blue and just got some 9.3mm epicord to try

Old mill I saw the pic u posted on arbtalk and it looked like u had 8mm beeline? 8mm in anything doesn't seem to work for me. I've really liked the 10mm original beeline on cougar blue and just got some 9.3mm epicord to try

Yeah...his photo is of 8mm bee line and like you, 8mm anything doesn't work for me.

From the post on arbtalk, it sounds like he's tried the standard HH hitch with a variety of wraps and a few VT variations.

Al...step up to 10mm tech cords and also try other friction hitches like the distel.

Interesting. Before going to Arb Pro 9mm I was using 8mm Armor-Prus on Vortex and it ran smooth as glass.

I have also not found a better hitch than the HH hitch, just some that could equal the release and grab but had more setback. And it is so simple that even I can remember how to tie it.

I've been stuck descending on a HH with sap being squeezed out of the climb line by the biner and dog bone and gumming up the hitch cord.

I have also not found a better hitch than the HH hitch, just some that could equal the release and grab but had more setback. And it is so simple that even I can remember how to tie it.

I agree, HH hitch works very good for me all the time, no issues...Oh, 10mm bee line blue is what I use on 12.7mm vortex ;)

I've only been up and down some tall Cypress since my last post but less wraps seem to be better on the Cougar.
Christ knows why I was putting more wraps on, I must be the dumbest climber around.
Surprised I didn't work my way up to 12 wraps!
Hahaha!

I've been tucking the taped tail of my hitch cord into my HH. Seems like maybe its smoother tending. Less twisting.

I HATE SAP!!!!! I have a climbing line that I only use on pines.( don't want to mess up any more lines them I have to.)

finally got around to trying out that new epi cord yesterday, used the 9.3mm on Aztec and I was impressed! I tied the hh hitch tight and I tied it loose and it worked great every time with no fuss and no binding up. very smooth but its a new cord on used rope so we'll see once it gets broken in some more.

Back