Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Here's some raw footage of descending..... :thumbup::D

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2O7oGb8AHWE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do some of you tie a different knot than what is instructed for the HH ?....

I still use the HH hitch because I have not found anything else that works as well for me. But, don't be afraid to experiment. Because the HH is a hitch based tool, it's performance is a direct reflection of how the hitch and climbing line work together. Understand, that with the proper combination, the HH will do it all as well or better than any other tool out there. So don't except anything less.

No plans on switching tools. Actually I think I'm gonna order the HH2 for my birthday. I just gotta slow down so I can experiment some.

All I did was pass the upper leg of the prusik underneath the lower leg, holds the hitch together and grabs faster for me, in the pic I posted.

Rich in my experience there is very little gain to be had with different hitches, now cordage is a whole other kettle of fish and can be discussed till the sun goes down.

My climber Robby climbs on cordage now that he loves and I cant stand. I gave up long ago making recommendations.

Rich in my experience there is very little gain to be had with different hitches, now cordage is a whole other kettle of fish and can be discussed till the sun goes down.

My climber Robby climbs on cordage now that he loves and I cant stand. I gave up long ago making recommendations.

Thanks for this observation, Paul. Very interesting and much appreciated. Never before have I seen this sentiment expressed.

Tim

Knot that I noticed, honestly I couldn't be happier with how it's performing for me. :thumbup::D

Hey, Randy! Your statement implies that you are still using the Hitch Hiker in your life as a climber. Not trying to make you feel uncomfortable, but you are one of the few people I know that own or have owned the Hitch Hiker, the Rope Wrench, the Bulldog Bone and the Rope Runner. I'm wondering amongst all of those options, whether or not you have one device that is your favorite, or go-to system. Like if you were forced forevermore to climb using only one device, which one would it be?

No pressure.
:D

Tim

Hey, Randy! Your statement implies that you are still using the Hitch Hiker in your life as a climber. Not trying to make you feel uncomfortable, but you are one of the few people I know that own or have owned the Hitch Hiker, the Rope Wrench, the Bulldog Bone and the Rope Runner. I'm wondering amongst all of those options, whether or not you have one device that is your favorite, or go-to system. Like if you were forced forevermore to climb using only one device, which one would it be?

No pressure.
:D

Tim

Honestly Tim,
I would take the HH. :thumbup::D
The reason I got the HH in the first place was for SRT (of course), and that it is so incredibly versatile. It can easily be used for SRT and effortlessly changed over to DdRT. And I have found, because I work on Pines a lot, it will still function after getting pitch in/on it/the rope/hitch.

The RW is great also, but I just don't like the way it sits on the rope, it's a personal thing.

The RR and the Bulldog Bone are incredibly easy to tend and work with in any SRT situation(I haven't tried either of them DdRT), just don't get pitch anywhere near them. :X

So the "short" answer is.....yes, the HH. If I could have "only one" that would be it. ;)

... but you are one of the few people I know that own or have owned the Hitch Hiker, the Rope Wrench, the Bulldog Bone and the Rope Runner. I'm wondering amongst all of those options, whether or not you have one device that is your favorite, or go-to system. Like if you were forced forevermore to climb using only one device, which one would it be?...

Tim, I fall into that category too. I own and have climbed on all those and a few more that you didn't mention like the Unicender and Petzl Rig. Climbers are incredibly lucky to have so many great SRWP tool's available that they can get to choose which one they like the best.

For me, hands down, the best of the lot is the Hitch Hiker and is my normal choice for climbing even with all the rest to choose from.

Sounds like I chose the right one to try out first. I might get to try the rope wrench next weekend. Depends on how pressed for time we get. I'll probably try the different knots just so I know how they act.

Honestly Tim,
I would take the HH. :thumbup::D
The reason I got the HH in the first place was for SRT (of course), and that it is so incredibly versatile. It can easily be used for SRT and effortlessly changed over to DdRT. And I have found, because I work on Pines a lot, it will still function after getting pitch in/on it/the rope/hitch.

The RW is great also, but I just don't like the way it sits on the rope, it's a personal thing.

The RR and the Bulldog Bone are incredibly easy to tend and work with in any SRT situation(I haven't tried either of them DdRT), just don't get pitch anywhere near them. :X

So the "short" answer is.....yes, the HH. If I could have "only one" that would be it. ;)

Wow, Randy, thanks so much for this answer to my post. This is the first I've heard about pitch being an issue with the Rope Runner and the Bulldog Bone. It makes me wonder if the same is true for all of the mechanical devices, like the Unicender, ZigZag and Lockjack, just to name a few.

I really appreciate your bold, straightforward answer, as I'm sure others will in the future, too.

Thanks again, so much.

Tim

Sounds like I chose the right one to try out first. I might get to try the rope wrench next weekend. Depends on how pressed for time we get. I'll probably try the different knots just so I know how they act.

Same here, I just got a RW from Treegongfu, gonna giv'er a try this week. I'm hesitant, I like the HH for how little sitback it has and how compact and robust it is.

I'm grateful that I'm even able to try out all these great pieces of gear, not to mention owning them.
There truly are so many options for working in the tree. Is it weird to be excited about climbing up in
a tree and working at my "slightly older" age?:? :|:

Not weird at all randy.
You should see me when the ups man pulls up in front of my house with a tree stuff box!!!8)

Did you just say TreeStuff.....:O

]<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/6onMzNPjtFeCI" width="480" height="258" frameBorder="0" style="max-width: 100%" class="giphy-embed" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Tim, I fall into that category too. I own and have climbed on all those and a few more that you didn't mention like the Unicender and Petzl Rig. Climbers are incredibly lucky to have so many great SRWP tool's available that they can get to choose which one they like the best.

For me, hands down, the best of the lot is the Hitch Hiker and is my normal choice for climbing even with all the rest to choose from.

Dave, without a doubt, you above all others have been the most steadfast and vocal supporter of the Hitch Hiker out there. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and photos of the Hitch Hiker setups that have worked best for you. I don't know why it did not occur to me that you also probably tried all of those devices, too.

I guess the value that Randy held for me for is just the fact that he used to be sitting on the fence on this issue for the longest time. I got the impression, rightly or wrongly, that he was so hungry to learn that he was practically using them all at the same time. As a result, it seemed like the use of all of these devices would still be fresh in his mind, and since they were all used in a near simultaneous fashion, the differences and advantages and disadvantages would all still be fresh in his mind, too.

The fact that a climber who was sitting on the fence for so long decided to hop off, seems pretty huge to me. It confirms just what you've been saying all along.

This is my own shortcoming, I know, but the biggest issue I have with the hitch based systems is the length of time it takes me to detach and reattach the system off and on a rope, as when one tries to achieve a redirect that is twenty feet away, for instance.

As it's looking like the hitch based systems are the most universally useful, I guess it is up to me to do the drills of practicing the swap until I'm fast enough at it that the time it takes is just not significant.

Thanks for spreading the word, Dave. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Tim

I'm grateful that I'm even able to try out all these great pieces of gear, not to mention owning them.
There truly are so many options for working in the tree. Is it weird to be excited about climbing up in
a tree and working at my "slightly older" age?:? :|:

I don't think it's weird, either. It's just acknowledging how fortunate we are to have bodies and minds that are strong enough at this point in time to allow us to have these experiences that are so much different from the normal existence of most people. It is truly a privilege.

I just found out a few days ago that Jack, the older climber who I don't think participates here anymore, for some reason, has been climbing trees for approximately 54 years, as of July 2015. Just incredible. I think the climbing keeps him young.

I'm not really a recreational climber; I climb because there is some task I want to accomplish. So often I feel pressed for time, just because it takes me awhile to accomplish whatever it is I'm trying to do. As such, I often get "tunnel vision" with regard to trying to accomplish a particular goal in front of me, and don't take time to stop and look around.

Every once in awhile, though, I have to stop and look around to figure out what it is I want to do next. It is at these times that I see the beauty of the canopy all around me, and the view that extends for miles. It is these times that make me realize just how lucky I am to be alive, and healthy enough and strong enough to be a climber of trees.

Not weird in the least.

Tim

]<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/6onMzNPjtFeCI" width="480" height="258" frameBorder="0" style="max-width: 100%" class="giphy-embed" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

This sums up my reaction, perfectly. It's a lot like being a kid on Christmas morning.

Tim

... As a result, it seemed like the use of all of these devices would still be fresh in his mind,...

Hahaha! Well it is true that most of what is in my mind is no longer fresh! :) But because I am my own boss I will often take the time to play with my many tools, switching between trees, just to remind me of what each has to offer. Still like what the HH brings to the table best.

About your concerns on removing a tool for a redirect, there are other ways that you might try instead. One would be to use the tail of your rope. Toss it over your redirect crotch and once you can get the end back, tie on a carabiner. Clip the carabiner onto your climbing line above your friction device and pull it up to the redirect point. You can tie off your now floating false crotch with a retrievable or a non retrievable knot and go to work, or climb up to the new suspension point and change things from there.

There are lots of different ways to accomplish a task, you just need to find what works best for you.

Hahahahaaaa!

Back