Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Nice idea with the shirt . Be cool if you could find a matching tie, tend in style.maybe a Hawaiian pattern would go good with the orange.8)

Hmmm, if I sew a big wide tie directly to the shirt it could be made into a pocket, may be to hold a knee ascender..... :/:

Sean, did you do anything with the pulley to make it easier to take on and off?

I have SMC rings. It fits fine. The rings are smaller than most. I believe that's the brand. They're maroon.

Im not using my pulley anymore, just a pain for redirects, spend more time messing with it.

A bit more friction is not a big deal to me

I cheated a bit today and put a 3:1 just below my tie in point. It was a maple that had four main limbs that curved up as leaders. 3 groundies were busy with the bucket op so I knew I had no help. Up and down four times and it was just so easy. I didn't want to put wood on top of brush so I came down after each section and stacked the brush off to the side for them. It was a good day for me, but bad for the bucket op as I out treed him 3 to 2. In his defense he had groundies to watch out for.

Im not using my pulley anymore, just a pain for redirects, spend more time messing with it.

A bit more friction is not a big deal to me

Exactly.. I want the ease of switching it up..... I can dial it in enough to suit my needs. I have also noticed, that when bringing up a climber into this realm, they are used to a Blakes or Taughtline or really tight prussic. A lot of friction. I find they are more comfortable with the action with out a pulley.

I cheated a bit today and put a 3:1 just below my tie in point. It was a maple that had four main limbs that curved up as leaders. 3 groundies were busy with the bucket op so I knew I had no help. Up and down four times and it was just so easy. I didn't want to put wood on top of brush so I came down after each section and stacked the brush off to the side for them. It was a good day for me, but bad for the bucket op as I out treed him 3 to 2. In his defense he had groundies to watch out for.

3:1 is wonderful when it is a must. Foot ascender and some upper body is what I mostly use. It has to be a really long vertical limb walk before I deploy it or a hard long day. I prefer to keep building my upper body... But there are times.

Little working it out.... Redirects. Hit 5 the other day. Took a vid when I* was at four. Put in another in the last leader I had to go out in. Line was a little tough pulling out then got easier. Probably would not do any more than this in crotches and limbs. Friction and all.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V-2d0_qTTLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice. Wish I could get jobs like that, around here people will have 20ft broken tops and not interested in getting them down.

This.

I sometimes have my steel biner get cock-eyed, pulley or not, but more with the pulley. I could probably get my slack tender tech cord loop to do more to keep it aligned, but haven't yet.

What do you all do to help biner alignment?

Little working it out.... Redirects. Hit 5 the other day. Took a vid when I* was at four. Put in another in the last leader I had to go out in. Line was a little tough pulling out then got easier. Probably would not do any more than this in crotches and limbs. Friction and all.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V-2d0_qTTLw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve, if you don't mind my asking, are you having to remove your Hitch Hiker from your climbing line each and everytime you add in a redirect? I realize that sometimes if you're close enough, you might be able to pass the whole system around a branch. Most times for me, however, the whole reason for the redirect is to be able to get to a place that is currently out of reach. Which means completely removing my climbing system from the rope, pulling the rope over a new crotch, and then reattaching the climbing system to the rope.

The main question I have for you is, if you do have to detach and reattach your Hitch Hiker climbing system, how long does it take you?

Thanks in advance for any answer you choose to give.

Tim

This.

I sometimes have my steel biner get cock-eyed, pulley or not, but more with the pulley. I could probably get my slack tender tech cord loop to do more to keep it aligned, but haven't yet.

What do you all do to help biner alignment?

that leather with webbing sewn together works the best for me, have to make another one for a second HH, gonna put stiff wire in it to keep it more u shaped. Tried rubber tubing on one side of treestuff strap didn't work as well.

Peter, I made a tender out of a piece of 1" webbing trimmed and shaped up with a hot knife to seal the edges with holes for the biner melted into it and covered the whole thing with 5200 marine sealant from 3M. I made the holes a little small and along with the rubber in the 5200, it stays in place quite well and keeps the carabiner where it needs to be.

Steve, if you don't mind my asking, are you having to remove your Hitch Hiker from your climbing line each and everytime you add in a redirect? I realize that sometimes if you're close enough, you might be able to pass the whole system around a branch. Most times for me, however, the whole reason for the redirect is to be able to get to a place that is currently out of reach. Which means completely removing my climbing system from the rope, pulling the rope over a new crotch, and then reattaching the climbing system to the rope.

The main question I have for you is, if you do have to detach and reattach your Hitch Hiker climbing system, how long does it take you?

Thanks in advance for any answer you choose to give.

Tim
Tim, instead of clipping into my bridge ring with the HH biner, I clip into another steel carabiner on my bridge. When it comes time for a redirect, it's simple to unclip, pass or toss the whole system over a limb, clip back in and keep going. No untying your hitch, taking micro pulleys loose or any of that.

Back