Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Just happy you guys liked it. I feel like a fish out of water with a video camera lol. I will try to capture some footage with the different devises I have as I can ... Trying to render one now and I
It is giving me some grief grrrrr.

Here is the Hitch Hiker performing on a straight pine stem.
The tree was skinny so I shot a line up in it and cinched two boles with a running bowline.
Rob was busy, but normally, he would just tend my line and I just gaff up the tree no flip line until I get to my work position. Hitch grab has to be reliable of course ;)
Once topped, I switch over to Ddrt for the rappel.
Sorry about the sound being off from the vid. I rendered this thing 3 X and it never got any better. Oh well....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cKwZKrjmOLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the second part ot the Hitch Hiker in the black oaks. More SRT usage than Ddrt.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tTPR2P54RwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm really enjoying your vids and how you're actually talking thru things. I got halfway thru the second one now and am gonna pick up where I left off now. Keep em coming!

I went HH and got my first real climb on it today. All I can say is I'm gonna enjoy SRT. The HH worked great. I set up the 3:1 for returning from a long limb walk and almost pulled myself right off the limb. It's way to easy to return. I was expecting it to be closer to DRT. I'm hooked. I want to thank everyone for all the insight that is in this forum.

Yes it will. It is much more about technique than it is about strength.

Yes what DMc said. Try not to muscle yourself around the tree as you would on a DRT system. Try to refine technique so that the whole climb becomes physically easier. Use the big muscle groups, like your thighs, and really consider your body position at all times, especially your core muscles.

It took a few climbs SRT to realizes that the technique is quite different from the more body thrust type we were used to before...a few nights of aching muscles and you realize something's got to change!
SRT is a much more upright technique, and involves the legs much more.

Just giving an update. The HH rocks!! I used it all day today both srt and drt. Static redirects, dynamic redirects, 3:1 haul back. I love it. Even used a bit of a srt/drt combo that I picked up from Cursedvioce's videos.

I just got the HH last week and put a few good climbs on it. For some reason, I can't seem to dial in the hitch length. It is either so tight that it is impossible to tend, or almost perfect, but with some creep with 100% of weight on line. Is the knot really that finicky that a few mm difference will cause that creep?

I also tried to set up a 3:1 system, using a petzl basic with a carabiner but without a pulley below the HH. It would not advance at all. Are pulleys a necessity for 3:1?

Back