Any downside to using tree spikes vs pole spikes on thin-bark tree?

Robert P

TreeHouser
I plan on doing exclusively tree climbing with gaffs - i.e. won't be climbing poles but I've seen conflicting recommendations on using tree vs pole gaffs on trees with thin bark. Is there a reason not to use tree gaffs on a tree with thin bark?

You can do tree climbing with gaffs/spikes on anything that you are removing completely. Thin or thick

If it is a pruning job then do not spike it because you will create wounds with the potential to admit pathogens that can cause decay and/or death. Prune jobs you are going to have to learn to climb and move without spikes.

Regardless, you should try to always have a top rope in for your ascent, then move it down to a choker below your flipline for your second tie-in and a way to rapell out of the tree in a hurry.

I use pole gaffs. I had a second set of spurs with tree gaffs, but after nearly two years of not using them I sold them... to Burnham, I think.

Lost my pole gaffs. :( The hooks fell out of my bag in a field somewhere. Never did find them. They were nice on thin bark live oaks I remove a lot of. I just use the long ones now until (if I feel I would like another set on shanks) I buy a new set to replace my Bashlins.
Some removals I don't even bother putting the damn gaffs on unless I need to stand on the side of a spar much. Or not enough scaffolding in the canopy.
Mostly use the gaffs on single stem pines anyway.

You'll be fine with pole gaffs on thin bark trees Robert. I don't know where you are but about the only thing around here you really need tree gaffs for are old growth or dead pines or any dead tree where the bark is slipping.

OK, I'm an old school PNW conifer climber, and the first half of my climbing life I spent predominantly on gaffs, better than half the time. Out here, if you are gonna climb a real tree, you are looking at 2 to 3 inch bark...and if it's a really real tree, twice that...'til you get over 150 feet or so up.

So I was weaned on 3+ inch gaffs. And didn't change them when I had the occasional red alder or big leaf maple to take down, thin barked as they are. I never had a bit of issue dealing with the long gaffs. I dunno...I have heard many a skilled climber say that in thin barked trees, long gaffs are unstable, hard on their ankles, a bad choice all around. But frankly, I was never bothered by them in those conditions. Maybe because my experience in old growth conifers always included both extremely thick bark in the lower half of the tree and gradually thinning bark higher up.

Bottom line, for me there is no question...full length tree spikes all the way. I guess if I lived somewhere where all the trees where thin barked, I might have decided differently, but I'll tell you, when I go to the SE states to teach climbing workshops, I climb on those long gaffs, and I don't get out-climbed by the locals :D.

I also was weaned on long gaffs and have never even owned or had a set of pole gaffs on my legs.
Do have to be careful in bone-dry, thin-skinned tree takedowns like Beech, but I can't recall having an issue.
Maybe I'll have to try a set of pole gaffs so I can see how the other half lives...

Same here...I have never used pole gaffs...started on tree gaffs and have always used them. Like Burnham, I have never experienced any wobbliness, instability, whatever. I use them on mostly oaks, pines, maples, occasional hickory (I remember one that I almost could not get the spikes into...HARD wood that one, may have been shagbark), only on takedowns.

I came at gaff climbing the opposite way-Was weaned on gaffless climbing then learned on pole gaffs. I own tree gaffs too but after climbing on them a couple of times I have stuck with pole gaffs. I find long gaffs wobbly and irritating on small diameter hardwood. On thick bark short gaffs still work if you stay out of the fissures between the plates---but if I lived in Burnhams world I'm sure I'd change my preference.

I've only had tree spikes, I guess if you've never had the other you don't know what you're missing and learn to climb all trees with the long ones.
Tree spikes will cover a larger range of trees, I'd hate to get stuck with a think bark tree and only have short spikes.

Bottom line, for me there is no question...full length tree spikes all the way.

But pole gaffs are so much better for trim jobs, much gentler on the tree.:O

Just kidding;) I know there are lots of good climbers that use and are happy with pole gaffs . But when I started climbing we rarely set top ropes so it was always spur from the bottom up. When you are heading up a big, thick barked tree with no top rope, tree gaffs are the better choice. After a few years on tree gaffs I felt as comfortable with them in small wood as big, so never felt the need to change.

So, I'm with B on this.

Yep, no top rope and no lanyard until you got high enough to get nervous...or just past the first limb, whichever came first...we would hold on with one hand, reset the lanyard with the other and then climb on...don't know why we didn't use two lanyards, at least.....nutz.

I don't spike that much, I usually use pole gaffs when I do and had some problems, I picked these up for $40, not to hijack this thread but anyone familiar with this spike profile?

IMG2626.jpg IMG2627.jpg IMG2628.jpg

I think that particular profile is known as " Kick out".

Yeah..... I'm thinkin' it will be given a better profile in the near future. The guy I bought it off of said he used it that way 10 years ago topping trees....

Tree gaffs, for tree work. Working in the suburbs, I commonly find myself spiking up removals covered in English ivy, and with the diversity of foliage here in Virginia, I use the tool that is *always* effective. I have a buddy I used to work with, that got convinced to switch to pole gaffs by another "climber" in the company... as his crewleader, I felt it necessary to send him up every ivy covered removal, until he fixed his mistake. He's also my guy who isn't allergic to poison ivy, so he gets those either way.
There's a reason why we call them "tree" gaffs and "pole" gaffs.

Here's the profile I prefer:

Attachments

• IMG_20140722_184455_556.jpg
    IMG_20140722_184455_556.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20140722_184647_091.jpg
    IMG_20140722_184647_091.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 55
I run tree spikes on everything, but if I had only thin bark trees and telephone poles here I would go with the pole spike ;)

Both of those modified gaff profiles need to discarded and replaced with new. Frankly, they both are worthless.

Back