Any downside to using tree spikes vs pole spikes on thin-bark tree?

Yes, I just bought the used spurs in my previous picture today for $40, I'm going to re-profile the gaffs, with intent to replace them with new ones in the near future. The guy I purchased them from swore up and down he climbed on them the way they were, I had a hard time believing him, but took them anyway since the gaffs were replaceable.

Thanks for the picture!

I've always been taught you keep that bottom side flat, no rounded edges and it's worked pretty good for me for 35 years of pole and tree climbing. I could count on a couple of fingers the times I've cut out and not cut right back in, both on poles, one rock hard pressure treated one and one rotten creosote one I was trying to tiptoe up to hang a block to gin up and set a new pole.

Look here if you want to have some very specific info on gaff profile maintenance...regular old school American gaffs, not the European type. Scroll to pages 39 through 42...specifically page 42 for the profile shape info.

http://www.fs.fed.us/treeclimbing/policy/guide/tree-climbing-field-guide-2005-edition.pdf

This is the old USFS tree climbing guide...hopefully soon to be updated in a major revision, but this section will remain pretty much as is, if I recall correctly.

Burnham, would you consider Kleins American, or is it the offset that makes them Euro?

I'd love to see an example of what your gaff profile looks like Butch, or B. A good point of etiquette for us less experienced. (my wireless is pathetic, I can't load that PDF)

Cheers.

Klein's are of the American style, they just utilize an arched upper gaff shape (not anything to do with the point) rather than the more straight gaff common to Buckingham, Bashlin, and some others. Personally, I dislike climbing on the Klein gaff, but I know plenty of experienced spur climbers that like them over my preference...my wife among them :).

Look here if you want to have some very specific info on gaff profile maintenance...regular old school American gaffs, not the European type. Scroll to pages 39 through 42...specifically page 42 for the profile shape info.

http://www.fs.fed.us/treeclimbing/policy/guide/tree-climbing-field-guide-2005-edition.pdf

This is the old USFS tree climbing guide...hopefully soon to be updated in a major revision, but this section will remain pretty much as is, if I recall correctly.

That is a great link, especially with the dimensional draws of the gaffs, exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks, Peter

My lineman friend gave me a hone stone for my gaffs. I wear pole gaffs with minimalist L-pads. Probably 190-200 pounds geared up. I almost, almost never sharpen them, maybe half a dozen times in 7 years. Filing will take off too much.

One thing that I've found about spurs, more comfy with two layers of cloth under them, like pants and poly pro thermals. I usually wear tall socks, too. Like wearing two pairs of hiking socks. A slight give between the layers mean less friction on my skin.

Back