Any advise for a ivy covered tree?

spiders seem to be way worse in that stuff - maybe OFF first or other repellant - less lumps later

Death from above? Ivy does come off easier that way. Ed/ Thor's Hammerd did a cool job stripping ivy off a castle wall in Germany. They got it to peel of the wall and then just ran back and forth, stripping it off until the weight of the sloughed off ivy pulled the rest off the wall.

true..peel is always top down, but it's a removal....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yah, im just dreading trying to climb thru the mess to the top to set ropes. I have no big shot, and no way I could throw my throwline to the top... Guess I could get it halfway and go from there. Ill have to rope down all the limbs and the tops but I can bomb the wood.

Didja go cut the vines today? Another benefit of severing the vines ahead of time is that they won't dribble sap all over you when you go to do the removal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They are cut, I called him last night and told him to do it, Im kinda a sub on this one... I think I may get my ropes set and the backside ripped off friday after work, it should go pretty fast. Then do the rest of it saturday...

The problem with SRT as I see it is that ivy can hide nasty defects. Poplars aren't the strongest trees to start out with either. Make certain to score the ivy on any tops you may take out with a falling cuts. Ivy if it is connected can screw up hinging.

One time we had a multi-day job pulling ivy out of pretty good sized redwoods. As I was going up I found some beautiful little baby birds in a nest that was hidden in the ivy. I managed to take all the ivy out and leave that piece. When I came to the job the next day the customer said, "The trees looked great. You just missed one spot but we were able to blast it off with our hose."

Good point about the hidden defects, I set up a line for SRT in a large ivy clad Ash tree removal yesterday but I couldn't get my rope close enough to the trunk for comfort so instead I pulled my line out got out the ladder and stomped and cut my way to the top.
When I reached the limb I had previously chosen for the SRT I noticed it was in pretty bad shape.

Yeah, killing it a couple of weeks before hand works better than having it all green and fluffed up in your face. You can see better how the vines wrap around the trunks when you're cutting it. Still dirty and miserable though.

Up here, it takes quite some time, often months, for the leaves to fall, after ringing ivy.

I always try to set a line as high as possible, out a ways if possible, and use ascenders or be pulled up....with pulley for lifeline set aloft. If using ascenders, ya gotta keep leaves out of the cams!

The only ivy covered trees I've encountered were dropped from the ground .

About 5-6 years ago one was a nice straight cherry that cut something like a dozen or 15 12 inch wide 20 feet long 1" planks . That damned thing had poison ivy that was an inch or more in diameter I had to strip to salvage the log .Something about cherrys and poison ivy,they like each other for some reason .

Some idiot planted English ivy near the house I live in .After we moved in I stripped at least 4 truck loads off the house and it took a 3,000 psi pressure washer to get the reminates off .They ought to outlaw that stuff .:(

Back