ANSI Z133-2012 question, chaps or no chaps while running a chipper?

HortGuy

TreeHouser
3.4.10 Says Cut resistant leg protection shall be worn while operating a chain saw during ground operations.
8.6.3 says To prevent an entanglement hazard, loose clothing, climbing equipment, body belts, arborist saddles, lanyards, or gauntlet-type gloves (for example, long-cuffed lineman's or welder's gloves) shall not be worn while operating chippers.
Chainsaw chaps usually have adjustment straps around the back of the leg, are those straps considered 'loose clothing'?
If so, and I am bucking a top up, am I not allowed to run some of the branches through a chipper, someone else has to do it?

Or you could simply step into the 21. century and get some of the newer saw resistant pants.

Maybe it is B, but I see these chaps and dicussion about when and where and I think "just put the goddam trousers on and have done with it" modern ones are so much better.
In the summer I slip 'em off at the end of work for the drive home.

Edit. I do put jeans on btw.

But both of us are snide Europeans, Mick.
That is really the problem.

Yanks have been so used to always being ahead of the game, that they can't adjust to having been overtaken by other parts of the world in some ways.

Apart from that, Butch is right.

I was being deliberately snide, for the exact reason you mentioned.:D

Or wrap the straps back around themselves so they aren't flopping in the breeze.

Chainsaw Trousers/pants are the easiest.

You'll still have the open sides to catch. I've had this argument and won about safety vest as well.
I agree that saw pants are the way to go. Give it time and they will be required here in the U.S. As well

Stig, that seems totally off the wall as a response to Butch's criticism. Perhaps one is not rich enough to afford chainsaw pants, or somebody wants to temporary outfit a worker to give protection for a not permanent period or whatever. I know companies that completely outfit their crews with required safety gear and have turnover. Shit, not everyone is in the I'm perfect range all of the time as far as gear.

A slightly off topic, I noted danger when wearing chaps and operating an excavator. One I was using, if you kept the engine running and raised the arm that disengages the controls before exiting the machine, my chap straps could get caught on the track forward and backward controls, and while still with one foot on the track, the machine started to roll. The forward and reverse controls aren't disengaged when the arm was raised. It occurred that I could get hung up and it was potentially very hazardous. Different excavators have different safety features, but loose straps are needing caution. It seems like that should well apply to working around various types of equipment.

I'm with Stig and Mick...Euro humour/sarcasm, love it...grow a set boys! He DID put a smiley on the post...

Chaps are too loose, too vulnerable to be worn around chippers, get some saw pants.
Or organize how you work so that the person feeding the chipper is only handling material ready to put into it...someone else is cutting, with or without chaps or pants (but hopefully jeans at least)

Jumping to conclusions, Fiona. i was referring to the Americans not adjusting and what that statement has to do with anything, not the 21st century remark. "Grow a set", a little friggen crude for even a muliebris tree climber.

Fiona, I love your posts. I feel that you can my wife would get along wonderfully.

If you already have chaps, pants can be an investment. That investment IMO is a no brainer.

If you are buying chaps, spend the extra and get the saw pants. I generally have a change of clothes in my truck for the ride home. I even put my boots and socks in the back of the truck to air out on the way home and wear my sneaks with a fresh pair of socks.

Welcome HortGuy!

Nope, I wont wear chaps chipping way to easy to get em snagged

Chainsaw pants are great if you got the money ;)

Hiya Fred,
You've survived 2 daughters, I reckon the rare slightly offside comment by almost the only girl here won't bother you!
Cheers...

I thought that was soo cool of Jay to put it that way.
Neat play on words.

Muliebris means female, but since penis muliebris is an old medical term for clitoris, I figured Jay used it to refer to the fact that you don't have " a pair".

I may be overthinking the whole thing. Wouldn't be first time.

Back