Another VT question

Benjo75

Treehouser
Hey all. Been using the VT for about 3 years now. Mainly on Samson Vortex rope. 12.7mm or 1/2 inch. It's a larger line so I have to adjust my hitches accordingly. I've settled on a 4-3 VT. 4 wraps work fine and I can go back and forth between 3 and 4 braids depending on the age and condition of rope and dampness. Ive always alternated the braids coming down. Meaning the top leg will go over the bottom leg first then under the bottom leg then back over. I was messing with it a few nights ago in the shop and put the top leg over the bottom leg all the way down. Noticed an immediate difference. It advances up the line like it's not even there but has grabbed perfectly 100% of the time for the last 3 days. It also works exactly the same on Lava Surge 11.5mm. I wish I had been taughg it this way years ago. Anyone else do it this way or do most of you alternate as shown in most instructions?

I've only got one braid on my VT and top goes over...works great (had four wraps)

It can be a mystery to figure out the VT, for true. Wear on both the host rope and the hitch cord, and especially wetness as it comes and goes during a work period, both can throw major changes into what the climber gets relative to right out of the gate.
I think there is no proper way to be "taught". What works for my 150 pounds won't be worth a toot for Butch's 200. One has to be willing to be flexible, change things up to meet today's conditions, to enjoy the magnificent joy a truly dialed in VT provides.

Never forget that once loaded, a VT like most wrap and braid friction hitches, almost always assume a somewhat different aspect. Usually, a braid will slip past a wrap, or vise versa, and look quite different than your initial tie.

A key to tying a good VT is to tie it tight to start, real tight, it will inevitably loosen off as you put weight in it and end up being just about right once you get up a few feet.
If it's not tight enough to start, it gets all slack and has too much sit back and you have to constanty flick it up to ensure it is catching when you want it to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I probably run mine a little tighter than most. Dont want the chance of it not grabbing. That makes it harder to advance. But with the top braid on the top of all 3 braids it slides up like it isn't even there. Has never offered to not grab yet. As far as being taught, when I first started trying new hitches I had been on the Blakes for ever. I got Mr. Beraneks climbing vids. He shows how to tie a French prussik. I tied it exactly as he did. It grabbed great but took about 90 lbs to advance it up the line. I just thought that's how it was supposed to be. I finally started experimenting and found out it would grab being tied other ways. After a couple years of experimenting with different hitches, cords and ropes I settled on the VT. It works perfectly now. I've been happy with it for a few years but have always tried other hitches. I always came back. I have several mechanicals but the VT with RW is still my favorite.

I’m a big fan of the vt also. As has been stated, too loose, or too long of legs can make it unreliable, it either won’t grab or morphs from the 4-2 you tied to a 3-3, and lengthen it too much for under a RW. Spliced and sewn eyes complicate it with their hardness and stiffness. Knots are more flexible but bulky. I’m finding that using just a 4 1/2-5’ piece of cord and tying a stopper knot after the hitch and wrapping it around the carabiner can make for a nicely working hitch each time. If tied snuggly the stretch from setting the stopper makes it grab each time and tend easily.
447CDE59-942D-450C-A69A-FE0032D8CF32.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would call it a 4 to 1 vt. 4 wraps and 1 braid. Cool idea. I'll play around with it this weekend.

That's thinking outside the box! A compact way to use adjustable and cheap, tied hitch cord.
Not a VT but just as easily could be. Could be more compact, I just used it on lanyard, but I reckon it’d be fine on a DdRT setup too.
Kinda wastes the swivel action, but so far as I know there isn’t a micro pulley with a 3 hole plate set 90 degrees to the sheave direction.
60ADF582-B055-4C93-85AC-0E1C4BB34295.jpeg 8EC84953-117E-485C-8545-C88FE24D006E.jpeg 55E06737-B085-4189-A808-8F7F1F6EDE22.jpeg 43BBDF69-BA49-4555-9869-AAAD70D5F8A9.jpeg

I would call it a 4 to 1 vt. 4 wraps and 1 braid. Cool idea. I'll play around with it this weekend.
I call it a 4-2, the bottom wrap in front is also a braid. That doesn’t mean I’m right, it’s just the way I count them, TreeSpyder would have the correct answer.
A plastic thimble can be used for a cheaper, lighter hitch tender, making the slit on the thimble a little wider, allows it to be midline attachable without distorting it too much.
61F43FA7-AD61-43F9-9025-DAA30F907A49.jpeg

Pretty slick. I still have about 4 spliced eye tails that are still serviceable but once I get my rope wrench I'm gonna be toying around with stuff to see how it works. Half the fun is experimenting with stuff and seeing what works and what doesn't. There are sooooo many variables when it comes to rope and tail combinations that the only way to find out what works for you is to tinker around and find what works for you.

Back