Analysis of a near miss on a tree removal

and I wasn;t specifically referring to you Reg.. more like the industry in general... while there have been a lot of advancements in climbing gear and technique.. its amazing to see so many still stuck in the 80's...
What of you walked into a doctors office and saw them using an electric typewriter and dial up phone? That's what A LOT of guys in this industry are like.. And cutting technique (at least around here) is barely out of the 70's... I've had a handful of pretty well experienced climbers that had never seen a hinge set with a plunge cut before...

My body language ought to suggest that in the clip.
That's precisely what I was looking at when the thread began.
The climber doesn't move back, no escaping movement nor defense motion. He's obviously quiet and he knows that he's in a safe place.

I had experienced myself some such swing, but in a more exposed way. Even if I knew that the log wouldn't knock me down, I put my arms in front of me as a bumper, just in case of a move closer than expected. Defense reflex.

Nothing at all here.
So, either he's "sleeping" like James, mind off, either he doesn't worry, because nothing bad is expected.
What would you choose ?;)

Id worry less about an optical illusion from a camera angle and more time figuring out how to bang out a big removal as fast as he did. That's some killer rigging.

Back