Airbag shocks for my Ranger- is this dumb?

My 90 Ranger didn't have a sway bar on the front end. It would start doing the wallowing boat motion with 1000 lbs. I hunted for quite a while at junkyards till I found one. They didn't come stock with them. The guy let me use his torch to cut it off. I had my arm snaked through some obstacles and shades on. I realized my arm was getting scorched from a fire and hurt it more yanking it out than the burn.

I put HD gas shocks on all the way around, sway bar, and fabricated mounts for coil springs I took out of a Fiesta rear end. That job not as easy as it appeared but worked OK.

That thing has enough rear axle under it unless you get the bright idea of sticking a 5 liter HO engine in it which can be done .You have enough drive line and suspension for what it is and it isn't an F-250 super duty .To hang a 9 inch under that thing is not as easy as it sounds and basically all for naught with a 4 banger .

I mean what would be the sense in souping up the engine , hanging a drive live under it large enough for a dump truck and the rest of that stuff and still have little light duty truck .--mumble grumble ---Beef up the rear springs a tad and leave the rest alone .

I've thought occasionally about doing something similar to my Ranger (1999 4x4, 3.0L V6). Of the Timbrens or an extra leaf spring, which one would have less effect on normal ride when unloaded?

I've thought occasionally about doing something similar to my Ranger (1999 4x4, 3.0L V6). Of the Timbrens or an extra leaf spring, which one would have less effect on normal ride when unloaded?

The Timbrens without a doubt! You don't even know they are there until you hit a hard bump empty, when loaded they just seat on the rear axle, like the bump stops would, only stiffer. Even loaded you don't notice a big difference in the ride.
As for that 3.0, there's a guy in Canada that grinds a mean camshaft for them, a buddy has one in his, I got to drive it. Wow, stuck my foot in it in second and grabbed third and tried to pass myself. He's put a supercharger on it since then, so he wont let me drive it anymore.

Your 1999 stock springs are probably a bit tired. Adding just one extra leaf did not give me a harsher ride unloaded. Two extra leafs per side would probably be a different story!

The Timbrens without a doubt! You don't even know they are there until you hit a hard bump empty

This is what I am worried about. I drive on a lot of poorly maintained unpaved roads, so bumps are the norm for me.

That camshaft sounds like fun. Got a link?

This is what I am worried about. I drive on a lot of poorly maintained unpaved roads, so bumps are the norm for me.

That camshaft sounds like fun. Got a link?

Not right now, but I can get it for you in a few days. In your case you might just want to find a shop that will re-arch them then add one leaf for a helper.

When I bought my Dodge 2500 Cummins new and found it rode like a lumber wagon with its 10 ply Michelins, the first thing I did was put a pair of Firestone Ride Rite air bags on the rear axle , improved the ride by a 100%.

I have a 97 1500 Sierra, for the time being. Sometimes, I need a bit of extra. I'm sure my springs are fatigued, since I used to haul 4 yards of chips and tow my low tongue weight chipper (did I mention I replaced the tranny? I have a chip truck now). Sometimes I just need a little extra.

What's the best option? I intend to keep the truck awhile, since I can't sell it for much, and its "sign"ed-up. I intend to buy a second medium duty, and use this as a tool truck, extra tow vehicle for lighter trailer loads, and the chipper 4400#, 100 tongue weight, super balanced.

$216 Hellwigs at JCWhitney.com

The Helwig kit is decent, but I'd look at adding one or two helper springs to it, the 1/2 ton Chevy's have always seemed to be lighter sprung than the others on the market IMO.

Back