Airbag shocks for my Ranger- is this dumb?

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I have a 2007 Ford Ranger pickup. Been trying to figure something out for a while here, I think I got it- but wanna run it by you guys. Here's the situation:

As far as pickups go, it's a wimpy truck. 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder, and not that big of a bed. It's no biggy- I basically just use it for consults/sales. Every once in a while I find myself filling it up with mulch, soil, or logs. It doesn't like it.

So my possibly hair-brained plan:

Buy and install airbag kit http://www.truckspring.com/Search.aspx?p=-59516&c=Air-Springs-Kits.

Am I asking for trouble with this? The sales guy said I leave it low 5-10 psi for normal around-town cruising, then pump it up to 100 psi when I have to carry heavy loads. I assume I'd pull in at a local gas station and pump them up there.

love
nick

I could not find any air shocks to fit my '97 Ranger so I used a set of spring helpers .You can adjust the shackles somewhat to set the load height .

I did use a set of Firestone air springs on the 2008 Mercury it preperation for the ability to haul Mrs Smiths mobilty scooter should the occasion arise .Keep in mind the Merc has coil springs ,the Ranger has leaf springs .

Now the Ranger it really did not affect the ride much .A little stiff but not like riding in an old ton and a half truck circa 1956 or anything .The Merc you adjust the air .Unloaded I might have 30 pounds ,I'd have to check .Still rides like a Mercury which in effect is a Lincoln only cheaper

You can pick up a set of these, http://timbren.com/single-convolution/ for around $100 or less if you shop right. They just replace the rear axle snubers, takes an hour at the most! Really easy. Check out some of the reviews.
I put a set on my '97 F150, made it another truck with a load on it, really large improvement! The only gripe I had with them was going over a big bump unloaded they would bottom out. A sacrifice I could easily live with for what they did, what they cost and how well they worked.

If you really want to wake that thing up, the Ford SVO catalog used to sell a custom ground camshaft for that engine. Made it idle funny, but man would that thing run like a beast in town! Sorry, not much you can do to improve it on the highway that I found.

My 8 plug 2.3 liter does pretty good for being a 4 banger .Tom has a '99 which is 2.5 liter 8 plug .The little trucks are amazing in the snow even unloaded .You could probabley with a set of helpers haul a ton if you loaded it right .The 4 bangers will get over 25 MPG if they are tuned right and some lead foot isn't driving it .

They are a neat little truck but they are not hot rods .Of course with a 3 liter V6 or a 4 liter they scoot better but they also drink gas like a V8 when you go that route .What's the point unless you get the bright idea you want to drive 100 miles per hour ,get traffic tickets and pay higher insurance premiums in the process .

This is what I used ,relatively inexpensive .Fairly easy to install .Rated for a ton which considering it's just a little truck is more than enough .As it worked out unknowing to me I later broke the rear spring shackles which I didn't see when I installed the helpers .Not a big deal either .Doorman makes the replacements .The helpers were just shy of a hundred shipped ,the shackles I think about 30 each ,Advance auto . http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/hellwig-983-ez-990-helper-springs-ford-ranger

Just be careful not to over load the truck which will be very easy to do. In my experience with small trucks the drive train and brakes are built like tinker toys.

I went to a local spring shop to get an extra leaf installed on my Dakota (deceased), and Tundra (almost deceased).
One extra leaf provided enough weight carrying capacity without making for an unforgiving ride when truck was empty.

Last edited:
Airbags, timbres, or a add a leaf should allow you to do that no problem.

I've used and have all three of those options in multiple trucks. Any of them greatly increases capacity. None of them help you with your braking. Drive safely and appropriately.

On that little rig I wouldn't go airbags. You will need a compressor. Period. Going to the gas station will get old fast and you don't have much room for a compressor. So you either drive to the gas station overloaded or you ride from the gas station to get you load with a stiff ride. The timbren looks like a great concept though I haven't used them myself

I have a small electric compressor on my set up. Fit/mount anywhere and will easily pump a 100 psi into Firestone bags. I regularly run at 80 to 90 when that truck is loaded. But yes onboard air is nice to have. Before that they were often just left filled which kinda defeats the point.

Timbrens are sweet too I have them in my old one ton ghetto chip truck. Never have had to think of them at all.

I need a truck that can handle 1500 pounds no prob- but can still back into my garage :)

love
nick

Consider going with a heavier axel like a dana 44 or a ford 9". I guess it all depends on how long you want the lill truck to live and not get nickeled and dimmed. IMO 15hunge is asking a lot out of a ranger if you are going to be using it on a regular basis.

Beefing up suspension is the no brainer. Its whether or not your tranny, driveline, axles, tires, and brakes can deal with that sort of weight regularly. Now and again might be alright. I don't know. I never knew much about rangers and how they are built.

The rear end is pretty tough. 15 is pushing everything though. Short distance at slower speeds would be OK. I think around 1200 is a better idea. I know a guy who beefed up an S 10 and used to put a ton on it. It busted an axle off.

Nick,
My sister just took my 2008 Ranger to the hospital to see Dad so I can't get pics. I have the RideRite air-springs on the longbed (7ft) Ranger, and have had the dump trailer and truck bed loaded with oak, with no issues.
The Ranger is a tough little truck. I just bought the in-cab control and dual gauges, a canister for under the bed for an air reservoir, and a small under-the-hood air compressor. I will weld up a mount for it, so it sits to the left of the engine, right off the inner surface of the wheel-well, near the battery and fuse block, so wiring will be simple. As it is now I back in the drive and use my shop compressor when I need to adjust the load carrying capability. Or I fill a portable tank and toss it in with the other tools, so I can adjust for load in the field. Once I get the compressor and gauges installed it will be just a push on a rocker switch for each side to fine tune and adjust pressure up or down...
Go for the air springs. Extra leaf springs make the ride harsh all the time. This way when I have no load I can dial them down so it rides comfortable as a car...

When I bought the truck I paid the extra for the 'extra load' package which upsized the brakes on it, too. Not sure if you can find a junkyard ranger with the oversized brakes to pull and install on yours.
Braking has not been an issue with the electric brakes on the trailer.

Back