Adjusting clutch on wayne PTO Chuck and Duck chipper

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
Seems like I have too much play in my chipper clutch at the moment. Anyone had to adjust their own pto clutch, or had it done?

Google the make and model of the pto clutch, instructions are usually available for most any brand of pto clutch online.

Most times it is holding out a detent tab and turning a ring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Wally.

I'm going outside in a minute, and will remove the covers and look into model number and such.

My problem is that the clutch lever resists being engaged, then there is a rock-over point when moving the lever (in this case upwards) where it wants to drop and fully engage. I have to carefully manage that rock-over point with pulling up stiff armed, ready to push back down a bit after rocking-over, at which point I ease it up to fully engaged position.

In the same vein as the 50 cent part costing $600 to diagnose I found a roll pin 10, a funky primitive looking u joint, was loose and not hitting both sides of the joint causing slop, and the clutch might also be getting worn.

Hey this is magic on Tapatalk I just realized I can have voice recognition and it will spell out my post and then I just have to proofread it!

I helped a friend/relative? a year ago put a clutch in a 4 wheel drive 100 hp Case/IH tractor. I showed him and his kid how to adjust the free play on the clutch cable. I don't think it ever got adjusted and it just went out again a year later. He will get very little help from me this time. About $1000 in parts and 50 or 60 hours labor for more than one guy. Good luck to you buddy!!

I had the clutch replaced soon after I got it. Hopefully not again. $600 at Vermeer, IIRC. Got the roll/ tension pins today, but no time to install.

All the pto has is a number, no name. 400781

Yes, the two tension pins, at $0.34 each, did the trick, along with some four letter words, problem-solving, four letter words, some cold fingers, and time.

I haven't had this much clutch control since they originally welded in that shitty, ujoint. One of the pins had sheared, and it started to drop the clutch.

On another note,
My starter is not for a 318 v8, but for an 198 I6 out of a 60s-70s barracuda.

912b23dc2842619756886e9c10ab24f0.jpg

Haha this shipper has been many colors over the years I'm still not sure what the original was if any of the original paint is still here. You might be surprised this thing eats. eats and eats fast! Its not suited to a big hard with removals like squiggly Oaks but straight things like maple alder willow that we have around here, YUM! fir/hemlock branches, YUM!

Back