A Summary Of Our Old Growth Redwoods

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Here's a little video project I did for the Black River Electric Co-operative in the fall of 06. They wanted a show and tell of the current status of the old growth in California. I could only narrow it down to the coastal redwood. Views and opinion by GF Beranek

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kbwv6kZEiUA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kbwv6kZEiUA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GbPfi7o3J0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GbPfi7o3J0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4WqrvEUzkQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4WqrvEUzkQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Man Jerry, you're a regular PSA! They outta pay you!

I think this is the third time I've watched these, awesome! :thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Public Service Anouncer? Thanks, Butch..

It's actually a condensed version of what I showed BREC. There were clips of Redwood National Park and Del Norte Redwoods cut out to make room for the files on Youtube. The original version is 23 minutes long. I had to break it up in parts to fit the parameters

The quality didn't turn out too bad on this go. I used a different compressor.

Just finished watching the third one, so your a movie star also. I take it that was a tree coming down in the third vid? Sure got your attention. Good job on these, I enjoyed them very much. Thanks for sharing them.

You're right, in that one clip the wind was blowing and a top broke out of a tree not far from the camera. It was headed my way but hung up in another tree. I've seen about half a dozen natural wind falls during my hikes through the redwoodds, and they do make a sound.

Awesome Jerry, just AWESOME.

And I've only watched the first one so far!

thanks so much

I really enjoyed that, thanks.

Of course I got all excited when I started looking through some of the other videos and found 'Striptease to Save the Trees'... it umm, wasn't what I uh, thought it was... bummer.

...and I can pronounce your last name correctly from now on.

Thanks again, good work. It's nice to here a moderate, experienced voice amid all the activist crap.

Very cool. Man, I've got to climb a few of those also. Can we have a Treehouse weekend out there soon? I can donate my plane ticket($$$) because of my FF miles. Groovy tees, bonfire, etc.

I visited Humbolt and drove along the Avenue of Giants in June of 1991. It was the first time I had seen giant redwoods and could not believe the size of these trees. Redwoods impressed me more than the General Sherman and other big sequoias at Sequoia and King's Canyon National Parks, which I also visited in 1991.

In contrast to many of the guys here, I DON'T want to climb one. I would like to have a helicopter take me to the top, enjoy the view for a while and rappel down.

Gerry,
That was a very impressive video and you really do have a narrator's/storyteller's voice. Easy to listen to.

The quality didn't turn out too bad on this go. I used a different compressor.

The quality was excellent...how did you manage to get such good quality?

That was a fine series of videos..thanks for sharing. At the 5:50 mark in the 3rd video, near the end, you are sitting on a stump. At the bottom right of the stump, about 3-4 feet below the felling cut, there is a narrow notch...is that where a spring board went?

You were a quick scooter when that top came down.:lol:

Buh-ron-ic...I'm like Leon, I finally know how to pronounce your last name now.

Thanks again.

Outstanding presentation,thank you .

A comment.I noticed the growth of ferns of all types.,which is significant.To get these ferns the woods or forest if you prefer has to be at a certain stage of maturity or growth.This is seldom seen in this part of the country.

Adding to that and in no neans attempting to de-rail,I've only seen these conditions in several places in this part of the country.One is on a 282 acre tract of oak timber land owned by my uncle. Although that tract is not true old growth it was last selectively logged in the early 30's . Ferns ,mushrooms and moss you can't seem to find any where else. Deer,funny looking little owls and wild turkeys.The kind that fly and eat acorns.

Back to the redwoods.I had no idea a redwood could propagate from the roots . I would assume then the new growth would have it's own root system ????

I often think that I'm on the wrong coast. Thanks for posting more proof of that. Very cool!

TS

Terri and I went to Montgomery Woods yesterday and National Geographic was there with a team of climbers traversing between the tops of the Ralph Sterns tree and tall one to the right of it. About 50 yards.

The Ralph Sterns is the flat top tree in the middle of the pic. This picture was taken in 1981

Attachments

• Sterns View May 1981.jpg
    Sterns View May 1981.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 12
Mr Beranek, thank you. for the film work and for your books and your documentation of all that you did.......7ft at 150.....

i have read and reread both "fundamentals and high climbers". and i look forward to reading them again.

this may sound like an attempt at an asskiss but i do have to say that you are the man.

will you autograph my 200t?

for real though. thanks

oldirty

Mr Beranek, thank you. for the film work and for your books and your documentation of all that you did.......7ft at 150.....

i have read and reread both "fundamentals and high climbers". and i look forward to reading them again.

this may sound like an attempt at an asskiss but i do have to say that you are the man.

will you autograph my 200t?

for real though. thanks

oldirty

Glad you made it bro.....some good chits here

Back