A Summary Of Our Old Growth Redwoods

MB, thank you for the welcome.

and i think you are right OTG. i look forward to reading through this place and having some fun.

Superb presentation, a real treat to watch. It would seem since redwoods are a shade-intolerant, pioneer species that colonize land where there have been disturbances that allow lots of sunlight -- like white birch, aspen and many pines -- wouldn't it make sense in order to maximize regeneration to instead of harvesting them by selective thinning as is done with shade-tolerant hardwoods, to clear-cut redwoods, at least in patches?

I have the book put out by Time-Life years ago called the loggers.

It tells of the early loggers during the westward expansion being confronted by the giant redwoods and Douglas firs of the PNW. How pray tell to drop those monsters ,let alone make lumber from them???

They were used to the eastern big oaks,about 4 or 5 footers they could fell in about 4 hours ,axe and whip saw.Heavens they didn't even have saw long enough for those big tall trees.

Well,they hacked and hewed for days on them only to have them shatter in a million pieces when they broke up in the fall down.It took them a while to figure out this is a whole 'nother ball game in that neck of the woods.
:) .. and without a doubt it still is .

Yes indeedy.In addition I have many of that series of books ,very interesting reading .

Not to change the subject but one book talks about the infamous "Storyville" area of I think Kansas City as well as the "barbary coast" of San Fran.That book covered the building of the trans continental railroad I do believe.

I had attempted to copy a few pics from the "Loggers" book to post but they are so oldish type and grainy,it didn't work out too well.

At any rate that book most likely shows older logging practices that are in part used today,well worth reading for those interested .

Back