A couple of trees to fell, targets involved

I would answer that with "when in doubt of a trees hinge or its integrity". In residential tree work we deal with far more variety than a forest setting. We also usually have an easier place to stand and set an easy line. Heck, I will often set a throw line to pull with. Many times we are up against a fence and cannot swing an axe (or hammer:P). I fell some tall skinny cottonwood a couple months ago and the hinge had zero effect on steering the tree. Of course that made it painfully obvious as to how little a rope "steers" a tree as I began to set ropes after losing trees to their head lean. The only thing that worked in that instance was a 90 degree guy line. I could go on but its more of the same so i'll conclude with blah blah blah

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You start off with this, "when in doubt of a trees hinge or its integrity", then go right on with this "I fell some tall skinny cottonwood a couple months ago and the hinge had zero effect on steering the tree. Of course that made it painfully obvious as to how little a rope "steers" a tree as I began to set ropes after losing trees to their head lean. The only thing that worked in that instance was a 90 degree guy line".

Seems to me you're saying on the one hand you'd set a pull line if you didn't trust the hinge to work, then went right ahead and said that a pull line doesn't do any good in that situation.

:P

But, I can completely see your point about having a fence or something else in the way of wedging. That makes sense...and does sometimes happen in the woods...another tree, stump, big rock or outcrop.

Funny, Willie: You apparently found that same Black Cottonwood that our old-timer foreman John Emmonds keeps warning me about.

I've been up in this area for a bout four years, and I've had little trouble getting a fair amount of "steer" out of their hinges, (I always knock out about a two-inch gap) but John swears that he'll never drop another large Cottonweed again after a bad-hinge experience he had about 13 years ago.

I actually started just trying to flop slight side leaners, then started setting them to guy with a slightly forward pull thinking I could just add a little support and may as well use that as a combo guy/tag line. It just took me awhile to actually believe the hinge would not function at all. At that point they became pure 90 degree guys. Cottonwood has always been iffy but this just blew me away, even in a headlean scenario I doubt the hinge would have had any effect on these trees. Obviously there needed to be more clarification.

I found some pix on my phone still. Pick away

Attachments

• 2011-09-29 12.03.57.jpg
    2011-09-29 12.03.57.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 2011-09-29 15.15.41.jpg
    2011-09-29 15.15.41.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2011-09-29 15.15.47.jpg
    2011-09-29 15.15.47.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 24
The only trouble with setting to guy on a side leaner with a slightly forward pull/anchor is as soon as the tree starts to fall all tension on the rope is lost , then immediately when the tree is 3/4 the way to the ground the rope and rigging is shock loaded when the rope tightens up again.

Oh, now that may be just a little hard-nosed, Stig. I know Justin can fell plenty well. Thus, I really wondered under what circumstances he'd feel the need for a tag line...just a straight up tag line...not a restraint line, and not a pull line for a back leaner.

I'll take it one step further than. If the tree is fair standing what do you even need the wedges for? Ahhhh wedges are security. It's standard to put a wedge in as soon as one can to eliminate any chance of set-back and also to help to read when the tree starts to commit if nothing else, the wedge will drop we all know this. Setting a wedge is security against a unpredictable gust of wind or whatever. So what I meant is if there's any doubt for anyone, whoever that may be about their ability to wedge a tree over, for whatever the reason in the particular scenario that they are dealing with than there is nothing wrong in a residential setting with taking the moment to shoot a line. That imo is sound advice. I wouldn't make a practice of setting lines in fair standing trees that have workable hingewood, but determining a trees true favor is really a whole nother thread.

That's what I meant by 'when in doubt'. You were not in doubt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll take it one step further than. If the tree is fair standing what do you even need the wedges for? Ahhhh wedges are security. It's standard to put a wedge in as soon as one can to eliminate any chance of set-back and also to help to read when the tree starts to commit if nothing else, the wedge will drop we all know this. Setting a wedge is security against a unpredictable gust of wind or whatever. So what I meant is if there's any doubt for anyone, whoever that may be about their ability to wedge a tree over, for whatever the reason in the particular scenario that they are dealing with than there is nothing wrong in a residential setting with taking the moment to shoot a line. That imo is sound advice. I wouldn't make a practice of setting lines in fair standing trees that have workable hingewood, but determining a trees true favor is really a whole nother thread.

That's what I meant by 'when in doubt'. You were not in doubt.

I don't know how or why I failed to see this post, Justin. I was looking through this thread again and discovered it...anyway, you made an excellent point.

Back