⅜"LP NK?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I've been considering a ⅜"lp nk B&C for my 2511 as a compromise between ¼" and ⅜"lp. The MS170 I got uses that chain, so I already have to deal with it at this point unless I go to a shorter ⅜"lp bar. Is the difference between them noticeable, or is it splitting hairs? The 170 handles the 16" bar /ok/. Much better than I'd expect from a 30cc saw. Is that because of the nk B&C, or do my expectations need to be adjusted?

Concerns...

That further complicates my saw setup. More chains and more bars that can't be blindly swapped between saws.
I've read complaints of small electric saws that use an nk setup that the bars are *very* flexible, and tend to throw chains. Is that the nature of nk bars, or are the consumer saws particularly bad?

edit:
I also value robustness over raw performance. I'll usually go with durability when given the choice of options. Is an nk setup noticeably less durable than standard?

Last edited:
I've been a logger since 1976, but the "nk bar" still has me stumped.
Sorry but WTF kind of critter is that?????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, narrow kerf. Not really for loggers I don't think. I see it as useful for arborists in making a finer cut, saving a bit of weight, and boosting the performance of small saws. I'm most interested in the latter.

3/8 .043 is the fastest cutting option for a 2511t. You might try Archer chain because they have .043 without safety bumpers, but their .043 teeth may be a tad bigger, somewhat defeating the .043 gauge advantage. Stihl chain is best IMO, but it has the bumpers, which get to be a lot of metal to file once it is time to lower the depth gauges, and they can't easily be profiled for a variable feed rate like regular DG's. Oregon .043 has a tendency to bend and rip off teeth. .043 bars are only available with a small nose, couple that with the low kick bumpers of the "green" chains, and cutting with the tip becomes near impossible except for precision carving. The bars are more flexible, but it isn't noticeable. I highly recommend modding a Stihl bar to fit the 2511t since non Stihl laminated bars have a really sloppy gauge.

I’ve been running an Oregon .043 bar and stihl chain. Still bore cuts okay. Not high use for me, so not sure about durability.
Huskey’s low kickback chain (comes on the battery top handles), is the only one I’ve run across that will burn the tree down before it will bore cut 😀

Back