200T tool kit

As usual, helpful post, Eddie. Self threading screws on a muffler...will wonders never cease?

I've gone to using a wooden dowel that threads itself through the plug hole the fist time, to act as a piston stop. Just a little oversized and you can thread it through by hand. After that, it easily screws in and will not damage the piston.

Why the :/:? Something spook ya?

I'll take the risk of answering anyway.

Hardware for dowels, Resize if required with a plane or rasp...so it screws in without much difficulty. Spray on some WD for easier threading. You could even resize with coarse sandpaper, but be sure to clean off any grit that might be in the wood.
:/:

I've seen pictures of your work. You could probably carve a perfect dowel out of a stick using your pocketknife. :|:

Honestly, making a dowel to size doesn't offer me much challenge. :(

See earlier post for layman instructions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably with a bent stick even. Great info Eddy, thanks

Probably the piston stop. Useful when changing the sprocket if you don't have an impact to spin the clutch off.

:) So someone else does that. I only use a 12volt one, not air. Got some negative response to that idea after trying to help someone at another place.

A little trick for those that have the means to do so .

The nut gizmo on a Stihl clutch is very short,as we know .A standard socket has a built in chamfer to help align it with a nut , bolt whatever .If you have the means,like a lathe ,cut the chamfer off the 6 point deep socket then it will grip full width of the little stubby nut thing .

I use this ,a breaker bar with a 2 foot cheater and rope in the cylinder .Those clutches can really get tight at times .

2 foot cheater bar? You must be weak, Al! :lol:
Using a piston stop (rope or plastic, either way), I usually just use a box end wrench and if necessary I'll smack the wrench with the back of a pair of pliers. Never considered breaking out the heavy duty lug wrench tools. :P

:lol::lol::lol: Well it sure is nice to hear that you guys have to break out the big breakers for those clutches on the bigger saws. I cringe when I have to change a sprocket on my 76's. It is always a battle of wills between the saw and me.

A large Mac like a 125 uses a keylesss tapered shaft with a real nut on the end,they aren't bad at all .

I think one of the worst I've done was an 038 Mag II I did last winter than had a blown out seal .That one took 4 foot of cheater and a bunch of rope . I was a little concerned about bending a connecting rod but it came out okay .

Now it might not be kosher so to speak but I have used a brass rod and a BFH to break them loose as a last resort . Who would ever think they can get that tight ?:?

I don't stick anything in a saw unless I am 100% sure it will come out intact and without messing up anything in there....

Scary that this is actually used!

If it is tighter than I easely can get out with impact, I tear it down and do it old fashion way.

If piston top is really clean, I use rope...

Back