2 way radios

Didn't take it that way at all, Erik!
I have a set like that in my BOB Paul, never know when it might be handy to be in two places at once, or be able to stay in touch with the family if need be.

Im ordering the eartek digicom, they seem to be the favs among the tree guys, and ive used them on a crane job and was totally convinced.

Kenwood must have come a long ways. When I farmed I had trunked kenwoods and I always thought the audio quality was lacking. Maybe it was the tower. I was in the pump repair guys office one time and I heard the radio traffic on a hand held motorola and it was much clearer than the vehicle mounted Kenwoods that I had.

crane guys have motorola with a corded mic. speaker in mike is loud enough to hear with hearing protection on. I used to have peltor....destroyed after two years. vox is not worth it

Stein has a push to talk system that plugs into a radio and attaches to your hard hat. Not sure if it's in the US yet, but he said soon enough.

Ok, here's some feedback on the Sena units but understand ours have very little time in the field so I cannot speak of toughness or longevity.
Audio clarity is exceptional and max volume is loud enough to cause ear damage. These are very light weight and self-contained units. For comparison the more expensive Ear Techs that Brendon is getting are wired to a belt unit. I have used many different head sets, though not the Ear Techs, but any of them with wires drove me nuts.
These are not ear protection, so are worn with ear plugs. The combination of which offers very good to excellent ear protection while allowing full clarity in communications.
Did I mention these are full duplex? If you haven't used a duplex system, you really need to. It is the way to communicate when things get tense. Communications can be achieved in a high noise environment so while making felling cuts or rigging corrections in grounds operations can be addressed instantly.
Battery life, on a day-to-day basis, is not a problem. They state a 10 hour talk time with a 7 day standby time and they use lithium polymer batteries.
The intercom works once the units are paired by just the touch of a button. And will stay on until the button is touched again. So they are not voice activated. Though they do have that option.
I can confirm the reduced from advertised range in our units, SPH10, to 200 yards. This is a big enough discrepancy from their 980 yards that I am going to challenge the company on it and see if it can be resolved. With that said, 200 yards, for our use, is generally adequate. More would be better, though. Certainly enough range for crane work.
Field reports from other units, like the SMH10s, are coming in with the advertised range actually working in field use. One thing not to overlook on these is that they are blue tooth. Which means you can have your cell phone in your pocket and, with your voice, make a call connecting you to anyone anywhere. That cannot be done with other communication units that have been discussed. It is something I will probably never use but is tremendous in its potential.
It is hard to see in this picture but the Kask helmet's hard plastic harness comes down low behind the head and the Sena's behind-the-head brace is under and above the tension dial on the hardhat. This setup holds the unit very securely in place but you want to not crank that wheel down and hold them too tightly against your head or you will have ear pain. Adjusted correctly they are very comfortable.

Dave

Sena.jpg

As a bit of a derail, but related to communication in other situations. I've used my cell phone in a chest pocket on "speaker phone" to communicate with someone out of sight in the truck, as I was cutting. A positive is that its hands-free. One person can cut in, if necessary. We were using radios the other day to pull over a failed tree. It had a thick hinge because the center was rotten. I was letting Duane know about the progress of it standing upright as he pulled it away from a CCC kitchen shelter, built back in the day. He wouldn't have been able to cut into my transmission to tell me that the winch was laboring hard and ask if I could cut a bit more of the hinge. He would have been able to do so with cell phones. We didn't have any reception at that location, so we used walkie talkies. All worked out.

Erik, currently they can pair with 4 and can do a 3 way conference. http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/index.php

I need to clarify what I said in my last post about them being comfortable. They are but not as comfortable as ear muff types. After eight hours you will be very glad to take them off.

Dave

Good review and great info, thanks Dave!
I was speaking of the bluetooth pieces for phones having a poor battery life, that is what I have been limited to with my experiance, FWIW.

Excellent thread. Saying stop to our crane operator is like a magic word. I mean like instantaneous. I've wondered how they do that so quick?

After using the 2 way that day on my crane job it was a no brainer for me to start saving for a set.

Knowing the weights of the picks, where we can go bigger, where smaller, left right up down, priceless. They will be great when I get the bucket, yelling over a running engine sucks.

I am going to purchase some 2 ways soon. Been taking all this info in. The bluetooth set is intriguing. But I need earmuffs. 3 sets at a minimum

Those Eartecs look awesome. They arent a true two way though as it is more like an intercom to my understanding. It is live simultaneous conversation, no transmit-release, totally hands free...

I have used industrial quality motorola products, and was not at all impressed.

To follow the 'not to derail' I have the Casio Commando, waterproof, shockproof, dustproof smart phone; and it has a small space where i inserted a small loop of thin cord, like a camera lanyard. Well it can be hung from a helmet strap or a piece of cord around the neck, its speakerphone is much louder than any other phone I have used.

Sometimes i hang it from my harness and listen to music on speaker while i climb for prunes and such, anyway I could see using the speakerphone for in tree communication.

It is the perfect phone for a tree guy, tough as nails (military 810 or whatever) Android 2.3 and cool looking :)

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Commando-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B004XDDOPI
http://www.casiogzone.com/commando/

41KPKpFSYiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Available on Verizon, the lanyard slot is in the bottom left looking at this pic.

Thought I would give some more feedback on the Sena SPH10 headsets.

We are pretty happy with these. One of the boom mikes broke, they are delicate, so we switched to the mini-mikes that also came in the package. If you look close you can just make it out in this picture. They will pick up more chainsaw and chipper noise but that is easy to work around. With the small mike there is a lot more freedom and when needed they still give nice clear duplex communication.

In open terrain, range has reached over 500 yards with the standard intercom. The Blue-tooth function works well on our phones and obviously gives unlimited range. Other than the boom mic, they seem to be holding up well to daily in field use. They can be found online for $212 each and for what they can do, that is a good deal.

Dave

100_4194-2.jpg

man that whole rig you are rocking is state of the art my man. I want (not to be mistaken with need) a uni/RW combo and definitely the communications system.....

Sounds like I made the right call with the Kenwoods; nothing broken yet. :)

Those Kenwoods are real nice radios but for tree work hands-free, wireless and full-duplex headsets are just so convenient. With the Blue-tooth you can make a call or answer a call through the headsets while your phone is safely stashed in your pocket.

Hard to believe how fast things change in the world of electronics.

Dave

Back