12,000 pound limb removed from a house.

• Thread starter bill22
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 8K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I actually don't care too much for oaks,especially pruning,some of the big ones are a pita to spur less climb.

I actually don't care too much for oaks,especially pruning,some of the big ones are a pita to spur less climb.Good thing 90 percent of my work is removing laurel oaks in winter park.

That one was a piece of cake to climb, pure fun.:)

I'm the guy in the left side of the picture.

Back in the days when we had a fishing fleet made out of wood and cut lots of curved logs for the shipwrights, a tree like that would have been worth a small fortune.

I see some pretty straight logs here all the time.. Sad they will never fall into a shipwrights or millers hands..
Destined for the wood stove is usually the fate..
Even a log like this one I would have rather had it go to a mill.

Attachments

• Johnson 10.22.09 (11).JPG
    Johnson 10.22.09 (11).JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 5
Sell em, I gotta guy i'm dealing with in Sacramento thats probably gonna buy my cherry, elm and walnut logs.

I have a hard time understanding why logs don't sell easier for you guys, unless you aren't getting the word out when they are available. I'd recommend contacting any woodworking associations in your area, and they often have a newsletter that goes out to members. If there are no mills in the vicinity and woodworkers can't slab it themselves, that is one problem. Still, woodworkers are always looking for material, that is a given. I used to purchase from a guy near Sacramento quite regularly.

In this area which is not logging country the mills will give you less than you can get for firewood .They know they are only going to deal with a land owner once in a life time but they still sell that oak for 3 bucks a board foot .

The smaller mills might pony up a dime ,15 cents a board foot in the log .They get around a buck,green rough sawn .

The only advantage with that as far as the trimmers go is that the mills will haul off the logs thus saving them the labor .

Part of the problem Jay is that people view fire wood like gold up here. Most mills won't pay me much more than firewood prices and only if I will deliver it at my expense. Most people keep their wood for fire wood. Best sometimes I can offer is to trade processed firewood for a log. Often I am asked if I will remove a tree for the fire wood or logs for milling. No money in it.
Now if the guy in Sacramento pays by the mile for a minimum load... It is worth looking into.

I'm thinking that you don't want to sell to mills, but to the users of the wood directly. Guys I used to know who did that, even if they didn't have an immediate buyer, they would keep the logs in a way to prevent rotting, as more likely than not, a purchaser would eventually come along. Projects...commissions arise, someone suddenly is looking for material. The nice thing about it is that you are only making a more valuable commodity by keeping logs, they lose some of their initial moisture and what's inside becomes more stable when someone does mill it. Charging more money is reasonable for the dryer wood, people will generally understand that.. The next step is milling and then drying yourself before selling, that really ups the price that folks will pay. I dunno, it has always seemed to me that dealing with logs is one of the least labor intensive ways to make bread, assuming that you have the ability to move them and obviously the space to keep them. Milling definitely adds labor, but the return should be worth it. Good furniture makers, for example, can get a lot of money for their work, so paying a fair price for logs should certainly be in their budget. Material costs are minimal when compared to what the labor should bring in, at least for good craftsmen. They know what they are getting with wood, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to haggle about price. Like anything else, just got to find your market.

I would love a mill.. just not in my cards for some years yet. I would do mostly for me and the house projects. Then sell some.
Just to help off set the cost of the mill... No high expectations.

I always milled my logs myself when in Cali, so I don't know what a mill charges out there. Here, mills are everywhere, or at least were, up to a few years ago. A lot of people will purchase logs, from a faller or at an auction, and have them transported to a mill to be cut to their specifications, then dry it themselves for their own use. All in all the price for this ends up being considerably cheaper than if someone wanted to go buy milled material that was already dry, and sold by the end of the chain retailer. Finding a mill that you could haul to for someone who wanted your logs, that gave you/them a fair milling charge, would be helpful. Most woodworkers would like to take advantage of such a service, I believe. It might more be a regional thing, but I'm often getting the impression that a lot of people in the treehouse under value the logs they get, a result of not knowing that there is a market for them, or much wanting to bother about it. Good wood is like gold to me.

Well Jay I wish it weren't half way round the world because you would just go bonkers at some of the stuff I have laying yet in logs .The ones I tripped were all within a foot 18" of the ground thus getting the figure that comes in the first 6 or so feet of the log . Most of the red oak,second log up is veneer grade . I have a beauty of a white oak in the pile that could be a gold mine to a furniture builder .

The cherry I already have milled has nice figure bottom portion and the grain in top is straight as an arrow .The ash is both straight and some has knots tighter that a bulls butt at fly time which exibits some character that many including myself find desirable .

This area is not a lumber/timber area but the hardwoods are highly rated . Good soil,good growing conditions setting on a limestone sub strata

I'd bring you beer and go bonkers, Al.

I figure that if you are going to be making something out of wood, with some exceptions, since the time factor doesn't much change, might as well use some good material.

Attachments

• windsorback.jpg
    windsorback.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • rocking.jpg
    rocking.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Those chairs would be so much more (assuming they are your builds?) awesome if you were sitting in them, Jay.

Its cool man,i enjoy seeing pics of woodworking and have actually thought about buying a sawmill.

Back