12,000 pound limb removed from a house.

• Thread starter bill22
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 8K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well what started me thinking of saw milling is i do primarily removals,even though i freelance climb,the 2 guys who give me 75 percent of my work just dump their logs to either rot or become firewood,and I've always wanted to make a log cabin.A sawmill would come in handy for making beams and various dimensions of lumber i might need.

Translation ,Butch often types using internet forum acronyms .He was reminding us we were veering of topic rather badly ,we often do that .

He was more or less saying if the orginater of this thread didn't mind neither would he .Well,that's kinds ,sorta what he meant---I think ---:?-

Those chairs would be so much more (assuming they are your builds?) awesome if you were sitting in them, Jay.

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. :) Actually, good designed chairs do look better, or at least more complete, when being used, and people look better too, in nice chairs, at least to my eye. At an exhibition, I try to tell people how nice they look when sitting in a chair, some body types fit a design better than others, and vice versa. I'm really being honest, and folks can't see themselves....maybe I should get a big mirror or something, but it seems kind of hokey. When I say that, I often get the he's giving a sales pitch look. Taking a photo and immediately showing them is one possibility that occurs. Who knows if it might help sales?

Some time in that rocker, Jesse. Kind of a pita to build, so I generally take my time and work at a comfortable pace. I guess about three weeks or so. Maybe sometimes a bit longer, I enjoy working at a pace that keeps me in a groove where mistakes don't happen. Lots of time in the finish, many many coats of oil rubbed in and polished. I like a shine! In comparison, I can build the lower chair in four-five days, mostly lathe work, and I've done so many that I don't have to think about it.

Some unusual Walnut in the rocker, Stig. Air dried Black Walnut sure is nice. Zelkova would be an interesting choice for that, a real showpiece, but make a heavier chair. Folks say they like lighter for when they are vacuuming and such.

Sorry for the derail, Bill.

I like it!

2lmmiwl.jpg

Cedar is a very beutifull wood if you can somehow preserve it from the effects of weather and sunlight .The folks who use it as siding and trim on houses and use no means to preserve it ,in short order have a high priced house that resembles a 150 year old dairy barn .Looks like dog chit in my opinion .

On the reverse old cedar chests display some character and they are often well over 100 years old .

Cedar seems to be one of the rarer woods that way, unlike most, it is prettier new than when aged. I think more a tendency of some softwoods than hard. They lose that initial crispness of color as they age, get sort of drab. If you kept polishing them it would probably help, at least in interior use. Hardwoods on the other hand take on depth and patina.

I noticed that on my oak Jay . It might have something to do with the tannin content. ? The hickory too takes on the rich color of pecan but I haven't planed any to see how deep it goes .

Probably not very deep, Al, one or two shavings and you are back to how it looked in the beginning after it dried initially. Sometimes with wood that has been used hard, like table tops, it is a debate whether to resurface them or not. You can easily get back to nice and clean with no scars, but the effects of time also give something valuable that you can't get any other way.

Patina is time and love, expressed in materials. Better than new in every way. Just look at my favorite woman and partner of more than 3 decades.
:)

I have a bunch of red ceder outdoor chairs, love-seats, sliders, doubles, table with doubles, swings etc. If you dont clean and put water seal on every few years the red ceder turns grey. Put a little cleaner, wash and it's right back again.

Just great Burnham thanks!
Aside from getting used to proper seasons and temperate trees and God knows how many kinds of Eucalyptus...

Here's a pic of our neighbour's log truck, and the neighbour across the road is a commercial faller, and the guy a few streets over is a professional chainsaw carver, and, and...

Attachments

• IMGP6380.JPG
    IMGP6380.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 50
Epic .....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bmf-HCCZYOg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Serious cow catcher on that rig! Lotta critters on the roads there?

Loads!!! Possums, wallabies and kangaroos, roos would be the main problem in the bush, some of those buggers are BIG!
Even on the main road between our village and the next towns there is roadkill all over the place.
Mind you his rig is a bit of a showpiece, he wins prizes at the shows...

Back