056 bearing

Ax-Man

Don't make me chop you
I don't know if this thread worthy or not but just thought I would pass it along.

I have had a 56 Mag in my repair pile with bad bearings for about two years now. Finally got the crankcase split. Getting ready to reassemble. Hopefully I will have a good saw like the one I used to have years ago. Sentamentalism can cost money can't it.

Anyway, for those entertaining thought of rebuilding a 056. That clutch side bearing is an oddball bearing. No longer available from Sthil at least not in my area it isn't. I even went to Motion Industries which specalize in bearings and seals. The counter guy had never seen a bearing like that one. He made five phone calls for me on this bearing and no one had it or even heard of it. The bearing did have a manufactures number on it that did come up but the darn thing was just plain out of date and obsolete.

After all this hunting I did locate one on the net. Cheap Sthil Parts or Bryce Scott had one and it was new. Thankfully. It came in today and I am glad I waited and paid for a new one. I was going to reuse my old bearing as the counter guy at Motion Ind. said it was 80% good, little rough and sloppy but would work. The new one is so much better. Very little play and very smooth.:D

Just thought I would pass this along about the 056. Just in case someone else goes down this road.

The flywheel side bearing can still be gotten from a Sthil dealer.

I'll post this up and someone will come along and tell me they know someone who has a small warehouse full of NOS bearings for a 56:lol:

Good deal Larry glad you found one. The 056 and the 048 are getting hard to find parts for. I had to special order a clutch bearing for a 056 at work, they are no longer available through Stihl. Let us know when ya get her running.

FWIW, there's a company I used to deal with that was GREAT at locating oddball/discontinued bearings. (Motion never came through for me, either).

Bearings Specialty
508-798-2222

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am going to write that one down Ne. We have alot of oddball stuff around here. Mostly mowers. I was pulling my hair out part of last year and this year replacing deck bearings and pulley's.

I've met Bryce a couple of times. He's a good guy and his stock is imprssive. For 045/056 questions, talk to CBfarmall over on AS. Dude is an 056 guru.

I've rebuilt many of them now, and they're cool saws. I know them pretty well, but Chris know them above and beyond.

Most if not all Stihl bearings on the clutch side are listed as OEM .In other words the Stihl corp had propriatary rights world wide for their sale .

I've never wrenched an 056 but have done several 048's and have one on the bench as I type .

It uses a standard metric bearing that has been modified by grinding a radii on the crank side internally and a step in the outer race ,clutch side .It would be possible but very costly to modify one for retrofit ,most like over a hundred bucks . The basic bearing would be about 15 but the machine work,done on an od/id grinder would break the bank .Then the bearing would have to be power flushed or ultrasounded to clean out the grinding dust .Not impossible but real pricey .

I can't remember the guys name,the one Brian got the rebuilt 038 Mag from .This gent had all the retrofits that would interchange on most Stihl models . He once had a reference web site under "gifts of wood " but Stihl whined about it and it discontinued .

That's cool you got your part, Larry. "Cheap Stihl Parts" gets some hard to locate items up for auction. More than once I've happened on an item I need that he's offering, only to read that he won't ship outside the US. :cry:

I had three 056. Plenty of grunt for sure, but their mounts were weak and I spent a lot of my weekends fixing them. Had a cracked spark plug wire on one and that sob would bite like it had 60,000 volts. And once it bit me from 40 feet through my loggers tape. I'll never forget it.

The way that thing is made I can see how it could nail you a good one .Plug wire out the top ,good grief no wonder .

Oh yeah, I run 42 inch bars on that 056 mag a lot and when I'd heft it up for an undercut or backcut it'd bite me in the tits too. One time the plug wire came off and the saw still run throwing a spark from the crack in the wire to the plug... over an inch away.

I got to say those ignition systems are really hot!

You'd think a reasonable person might have replaced the broken plug wire. Or at least wrapped it in electrical tape.

"Maybe next time it won't bite me" :P

They list several ignition systems for the 056 .One is an internal coil SEM ,the same one I believe the 2100 Huskie uses if I'm not mistaken .Hotter than a firecracker .

If that's the case ,those coils don't have a lot on the crankup but they come alive at speed and will throw fire over an inch .

It is alive. Finally!!! Looks like we have a winner and a keeper. Just finished finished tuning the carb. I do have some more small Mickey Mouse parts coming in for it but was able to get this 056 mag 2 up and running with the old beat and worn out parts. Not quite wood worthy yet but I can at least go out and do some test cuts with it. Maybe tomorrow or after turkey day.

I was really revelling in the sound of that old time Sthil idle. That rappy kind of offbeat idle the older saws had like the 76's and 41's have. I was enjoying just listening to it idle while it was sitting on the garage floor that I just sat down and enjoyed a partial cup of coffee while it idled away. Went over after short time, picked it up and hit the throttle and it took off without a stumble to the acceleration.

It was worth it to tear this saw down and rebuild it. It took me awhile and was a little aggravating but I don't have much into except the new parts I bought for it.

I can see what Jerry was talking about concerning the mounts all the mounts on this saw were broke and wallered out or partially missing. I had to replace all of them and still waiting for one to come in. This saw won't see that much hard use so maybe I won't have to replace any of them.

I had three 056. Plenty of grunt for sure, but their mounts were weak and I spent a lot of my weekends fixing them. Had a cracked spark plug wire on one and that sob would bite like it had 60,000 volts. And once it bit me from 40 feet through my loggers tape. I'll never forget it.

:lol::lol:Hope you wasn't on top of the log, bumping limbs.

I will after I get some better looking parts on it.

It looks too much like a beater saw right now.The previous owner wasn't kind to this saw.

Mainly it is the sprocket cover which is still filthy and has a big crack in it. I have an almost like new cover but I need a longer bar stud to make it fit right. I didn't know this till I got to this part of the saw that there are two different styles of sprocket covers. A longer stud is one of the parts I am waiting for.

Can't recall ever seeing one myself that I remember .There is however a machine repairman the works midnight shift at work that has one .

He says it seldom gets used but certainly has the power should he need a large saw .

There is also a trimmer I met about 2 months ago at a wedding that was supposed to bring one over that another gent can't seem to get running correctly for me to look at . He was a tad put out over the situation because this other guy had had it for two years and no results .

If I recall correctly they are a tad bit tricky to get the timing correct ,from reading up about them .

Here is a nice 056 Mag a friend of mine has for sale.

056mag.jpg

If anyone is interested let me know. He is asking $600 for it.

Thanks for the welcome, MB.
I have been lurking for a while and decided to join in. It is nice to see a saw forum where folks stay on topic...
I have a little over a 100 saws in my collection and enjoy repair and restoration of these crazy little machines. I have been making a living working on them off and on for many years, and I guess the bar oil just gets in your blood! LOL

Back