Stihl vs. Dewalt Drill : Which is stronger?

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I am comparing two drills. The Stihl BT 45 and one that I already own, the Dewalt DCD985

I use the Dewalt for, among other things, installing Rigguy system. It works like a charm for that. But the biggest drill that I'm pushing is a 7/16" bit that Is like 28" long. I'm prepping to do my first through-bolting and just purchased a 48" x 11/16" bit from treestuff. I am wondering if the Dewalt is going to push the bit fine or if I will need to step it up to a bigger drill. I've been looking at some gas drills and considering renting them when needed. Earlier today emr posted a pic of the BT45 on his company Facebook and it got me to thinking.

So I opened the webpages for both drills to see if I could do some sort of a comparison. I can't make sense of the numbers other than RPMs and in that regard they are about equal.

stihl vs dewalt specs.png

The only major difference i can see by looking at the numbers is that the Stihl weighs about double and its engine power is 0.8kW vs 535UWO in the Dewalt.

So maybe the only thing I needed to write is, "Whats 0.8kW compared to 535UWO?"

I'm thinking youse guys might be able to make some sense of this.

love
nick

We have a Dewalt cordless drill that we used to use for cables. We haven't taken it out in over a year now. We use the gasser for everything now. Our next drill will be a Milwaukee Hole Hawg for bolts and the GRCS.

I did respond on our page by the way...... Feel free to message me with any other questions. Otherwise it's raining here so I have some free time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have "a dewalt" but is it a 20vMax?!

I need to find a tree that is slated for removal so I can go drill a hole in it with the new big drill just to make sure it works.

I'll tell you Nick, I know nothing of the Dewalt, but ...it's asking a lot of the BT45 to push that much bit unless the operator uses proper technique. It will do it fine IF you are very careful to go slow, use a sharp bit, and most especially clear the chips with great frequency. Let me emphasize... clear the bore with GREAT FREQUENCY.

Uncle Al will tell you that electric power vs. infernal combustion power, rated in HP, is an uneven field, favoring electric pretty strongly.

Yep yep. I understand the part of clearing the bit. Even when drilling measly 7/16 x 20" holes you can feel the advantage in clearing the bits every 5 seconds or slow.

Lube will do minimal for wood, paraffin/bar soap if anything but the wood is so wet and soft I doubt you'll see much effect out of it.

Whatever you do Nick, report back on how that bit worked for you. We bought a 48", 9/16" bit from Treestuff and it sucks!!!!! Our shorter one (29" I think) from Treestuff is great. There are several different manufacturers depending on the size. The shorter on was made by Irwin and the longer one was made my someone else. I will not buy another long one from Luke until I know its a different manufacturer.

We use the Miluakee Hole Hawg for installing through bolts @ ground / ladder level, I personally like the BT45 for anything 'at height' (I hate extension cords!).

For cables we use a dewalt 18v or a 20v depending on who has what that day. I think the gas drill is overkill for cables and the cordless works fine.

Whatever you do Nick, report back on how that bit worked for you. We bought a 48", 9/16" bit from Treestuff and it sucks!!!!! Our shorter one (29" I think) from Treestuff is great. There are several different manufacturers depending on the size. The shorter on was made by Irwin and the longer one was made my someone else. I will not buy another long one from Luke until I know its a different manufacturer.

Shit. I bought it because the website said it was Irwin. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I will check it out.

I'll let you know how it goes.

love
nick

I haven't ever heard of or tried lubing a drill bit with wood, but when driving screws, the tip dipped in soap or wax makes a hell of a difference. With the heat or moisture on a drill bit, it would probably quickly dissipate any lubrication. Agreeing with Andy.

Shit. I bought it because the website said it was Irwin. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I will check it out.

I'll let you know how it goes.

love
nick

I called Luke to ask him if others have complained and he said I was the first, but he did tell me that they had different manufactures. That was last year some time, so maybe he switched to all Irwin. I do remember Luke saying that he was looking at getting a new source for his bits.

Honestly, if its the same manufacturer as ours, you will not be happy. We usually start by using the shorter Irwin and then finishing up with the longer one. It gets pretty frustrating.

Rather than the drag of the long bit through the entire length, I would use a shorter drill with extensions

Have you used extensions? I have always worried about them snapping off or coming unconnected in the trunk.

I thought that what we were talking about, extensions. I have always used a short bit, a long bit seems like it would suck. The extensions I am familiar with lock together with an allen key, I am sure you could bust it but it hasnt happened to me.

Regardless of your choice extensions or solid bit. Take your time and be precise. Those long bits will bind and twist the drill right out of your grip in a split second.

Back