Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Full Wrap vs. 3/4 Wrap?

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Once in California.

Quote Originally Posted by cory View Post
    How low do the stumps need to be? Do they give a formula based on diameter?
    Half the height of the root flares.

On Beech there is a good reason to go low.
    The logs tend to split after a short while.
    That renders them useless for veneer peeling.
    Keeping the low buttress on the log, with it's convoluted grain, helps hold the log together.

Once it has been in the cooker at the veneer plat, they cut it off.

So it is not just plain silliness and tradition.

That's not that low, is it?

Would the full-wrap bump into the flares?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Stig says it does, in more than one post to the subject in the past, both recent and old. I believe him.

Hereabouts, we get by with a 12 inch stump requirement for logging on USFS lands; one can get there with full wrap handles without problems for the vast proportion of hand felling. That's not as low as Denmark, but not all that high either . PNW conifers are apparently more forgiving regarding propensity to split if looked at sideways .
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181106_231736.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	90321

A hair under 3" added width.
    No biggie if you can just grab a different saw off the truck. Probably a biggie if you gotta trek through the woods with a single saw and get the stump low.

The latter is of course the situation for loggers. And you have to appreciate the form that the primary valuable species Stig falls takes, the beeches...those very wide-spread multiple root flares are a special challenge.

If I had to fall western red cedar (a species with pronounced root flares, aka "knees" hereabouts) to the spec he does...eff me, I'd be wishing I could run a standard handle saw...while knowing the damned steep slopes would kill, if I made that choice.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

I may misunderstand.

I don't gather half the height of the flare. Is that saying if the buttress roots extend 6 inches away from the core of the stump, which may be 20" across, you need to cut 3" off the dirt?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Sounds about right Sean.

I have never even seen let alone held a full/3 quarter wrap handle in the flesh.

Only in pictures.
    Rich.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Those flares are the reason I gave up on running big dogs on my felling saws.
    They really got in the way when I was cutting low, so I gave them away to some Treehouser.

TreeHouser Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    Sounds about right Sean.

I have never even seen let alone held a full/3 quarter wrap handle in the flesh.

Only in pictures.
    Same for me. But two or three times in 10 years, I could had appreciate this handle : right side access only to the tree with a felling cut both too high to be done backchaining and too low for regular chaining. Well, at least it's clear in my mind

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Once you go wrap....there's no going back.

In the tree it's superior for all the same reasons it is on the ground. No backchaining and able to use the dogs properly no matter which side of the tree/cut you're on. You can always use the saw in the safest most efficient configuration no matter which side you're on.