Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free range pork

Default Free range pork

What do y'all think of the free range concept?? I like it a lot and am more than happy to pay the extra cost. Though full veg would be great.

Here's a link to a humanely raised pork article http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/bu...html?src=rechp

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Since Denmark has some 23 million pigs and only 6 million people, I think it would become pandemonium, if they let them all out of the concentration camps.
    Deyr fÚ,
    deyja frŠndr,
    deyr sjalfr it sama,
    ek veit einn,
    at aldrei deyr:
    dˇmr um dau­an hvern.

free range, pasture fed, thats all good if thats what your getting but it often is not what you think. I guess you gotta trust your farmer

Treehouser Sponsor SouthSoundTree's Avatar

Great idea. If you can find the farmer to buy from, its maybe best. I've been eating Goldie burgers and steak, as my neighbors have cows. Its illegal for them to sell it to me, technically, but the best thing going, by far. I told my neighbor to charge more, but he wouldn't.
    --Sean--

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Free range pigs that I have seen are sure in a cleaner environment.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

Bamboo Plantation Owner Sponsor Tucker943's Avatar

Cory don't waste your money on marketing hype. Look up what the USDA defines as free range. Guarantee you'll look at that package of pork and go "Those clever mofo's".

Go and buy direct from a slaughterhouse in the country. Their pigs come from small local farms. That'll buy you MUCH better pork then that nasty stuff in the grocery store. I buy a whole pig each year from a local butcher/slaughterhouse. The pigs aren't raised golden castles, but they typically live a better 7 month life then the bastards at a huge industrial style farm. The meat quality is craftsman vs Husqvarna.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker943 View Post
    Cory don't waste your money on marketing hype. Look up what the USDA defines as free range. Guarantee you'll look at that package of pork and go "Those clever mofo's"..
    Indeed. free range quite often means they have access to a small patch of grass for an hour a day. I am lucky to have a great farm nearby where I can get great meat and raw milk. it's about a mile from me but every time I'm there I see people showing up with several coolers and buying bulk 'cause there are no good farms where they are at(many hours away)

Copy/pasted.

In the United States, USDA free range regulations currently apply only to poultry and indicate that the animal has been allowed access to the outside.[3] The USDA regulations do not specify the quality or size of the outside range nor the duration of time an animal must have access to the outside.[4]

The term "free range" is mainly used as a marketing term rather than a husbandry term, meaning something on the order of, "low stocking density," "pasture-raised," "grass-fed," "old-fashioned," "humanely raised," etc.

There have been proposals to regulate by the USDA the labeling of products as free range within the United States. As of now what constitutes raising an animal free range is entirely decided by the producer of that product

That is quite disturbing, over here free range is rather more tightly defined. We are intending to raise our own pigs for meat this year, probably geese too.

Ya, its a racket. Plus when the farm allows the animal time out of its pen, what is it going into? Pastures of emerald green clover? No. Probably a 10x10 area of bare dirt/animal shit, at most. Now they can label it "Free Range". 5 minutes daily in a dirt area in front of the pen and now its worth much more money. How about the workers maybe just usher the animals out into the pen, then usher them back into the indoor pen? It got free range time, no? Its compliant with the law and it took 10 steps out of its pen and back in.