Helmet comms

Sean, can you hang them in the truck? We put a couple 3M hooks on the back window/wall of the truck, between the passenger and driver side. Can charge the sena's in the cigarette lighter outlet. It has worked well.

I will second what Paul say's about sending the defective headset to Sena. One of our headsets had went dead, and Sena replaced it at no cost.

I change between three vehicles all the time. I can more easily take care of mine, I bought them. I have two employees. I'm thinking that a case can also be a stash spot for some energy bars/ trail mix or the like so they have back-up food.

I might try some adhesive hooks on the rear windows of the truck. easy to try, and might be a simple fix. I also bring mine in the house to charge the camera and such.

Let another cutter I worked with today use one of my helmets. He totally loved it!

He was my groundie while I finished topping a tree and I learned quite a bit from him today while we both cut in the woods.

That's cool, Fiddler (Dave, isn't it?).

A way to think about crisp, clear communication is that its PPE. Given the choice between the chaps and clear, easy communication, I feel safer with the latter. Frustration is a killer. It distracts one from focusing and using the higher functions of the brain, IMO, at least in our context.

I'll second that thought Sean! It was great with Nick being able to explain what he was doing and why he was doing it even while he was cutting.

We knocked out what we had to do in very good time and ended up with a bit of spare time on our hands waiting to buck things up after walking back up to the landing.

Nick was so impressed with the comm helmets over the use of walkie-talkies he is used to that he is buying his own intercom unit to install in his forestry helmet.

The Boss loves being able to ask the groundsman a question and get an answer from me when I'm climbing.

My pick-up contractor canopy and bed is full. I was able to direct the new groundie right to the hook attachment for the pole without any problem or shouting or delay, without having to even see him, as the hook has a normal hanging spot, crammed in with a bunch of other stuff that hides it. No delay or frustration with the delay.

This would not only work well for the crane operator but it might work for some of the other crews' members. The SPH10 can be used with or without a helmet. With a ball cap they are comfortable and work great. Under a helmet they are less comfortable but they do work and would be less of a hassle than switching wires and all the other stuff to different helmets all the time. The guys would just have to use earplugs for noise protection. The SENA have plenty of volume to still be heard. They are not as rugged as the built-in helmet units, but still....

David

Hmmm, Im kinda liking these so anybody can use them...hmm

love having comms,
it has pretty much eliminated the yelling and frustration that goes along with the yelling, etc

AMEN on the no yelling. I barely raise my voice all day. If I feel like I want to raise my voice, I shut off the comm as I about to probably regret my language or manner. :lol:

I have to remember to not yell after two weeks of not working.
"Oh, yeah, I don't have to yell, sorry." -hanging out side by side with plugs and muffs on.

My groundie and I were joking about if we knew for sure we were getting brain tumors from them would we stop using them?? Na we would just die happy:lol:

:lol: @ Paul......

True that Sean... Have to constantly refrain from yelling.. And when the property owner wants to yak with me, I have to shut it off so I don't overload the crew... LOL

Sometimes, Erik will go talk and bid a neighbor's job, and I can feed things into his ear, as need be (hangers I can see, recommendations or stats that he might forget in the moment, etc.).

You are in for a treat!!!!

I love jamming to music while doing mindless things, or while cruising around doing skilled but not super skilled things. easy to shut it off and turn it on.

I imagine it might be possible to stream broadcast radio somehow over bluetooth with a wifi signal. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I use Tune in radio app myself. I hate commercials and this is an app for all the community stations in the country, actually world wide. It also has dedicated channels for genre etc. streaming really kills my iPhone battery, but so worth listening to some background music.

I hate radio stations, too repetitive. I use an 8 gig mp3 player set on shuffle. I'm up to about 800 songs, over 7 gigs.

Back