Helmet comms

I sprayed some contact cleaner on the unit where it attaches to the helmet mount. That cleared up most of the static and issues it was having.

I'm getting some static too, so I'll try this. I had to glue my units onto the helmet mount already though, otherwise they would pop off the odd time. Always charge in the truck cab so no big deal.

Would dialectric (sp) contact lube be the long term solution for this? Just came on recommendation for it and read several viewpoints on the web. Evidently it does not conduct electricity itself but keeps contacts from corroding so they will continue to.

I would think it couldn't hurt. Right on cue my units didn't work worth a crap today in the rain. The mic's would barely pick up an audible voice with tons of background noise. Almost as if the noise cancelling was working in reverse? They're drying completely out by the fire in the shop right now and then I'll clean them with electrical contact cleaner and then I think I'll try the dielectric grease on the connections. The plugs for my charging ports don't really stay in anymore and so maybe that's part of the issue too?

I'll not return to deaf-mute tree work. Still loving the enhanced communication.

This......
I had a battery go out the other day from my own brain fart (not charging units). It was a great reminder why I have them. I was up about 70 feet while barber polling a lightening struck dead pondo. The limbs move much faster and safer when I do not have to raise my voice. We had that 125 footer limbed, topped, chipped, felled, bucked and loaded in 4 hours delivered to the yard. 1 climber and two groundies. Much smoother with comms. Much safer. Almost clobbered the new guy a couple times.

For the cost it's a no-brainier. Being able to tell a guy how to do something while it's all actually happening is awesome. I'll be ordering new ones right away if mine are buggered. I just bought the units and put them into forestry helmets which is what I prefer. I know it's not the best for climbing if you do take a big fall/slip. Just stuck in my ways I guess.

Squish make sure the mics are turned the right way!! Also seems like you got them this year right?? remember they have a year warrantee

I just told a fellow the cost of them the other day.. He was like ... "Whoa!"
My retort was... What will a WC claim cost me over time if someone gets hit or..................
And of all things... I was taught in a corporate world, frustration costs money. Lack of communication costs money... Training costs money.
Anyway to bite into those cost over runs is a fuggen no brainer. They easily pay for them selves.

Squish make sure the mics are turned the right way!! Also seems like you got them this year right?? remember they have a year warrantee

Yah I double checked both mic's. I'll triple check them later tonight lol. Mine are about a year old now a little better I think? I'd never try to warranty these, mine have been beat and abused. Badly.

I will keep that in mind, for sure. Although mine have been glued to the mount, because they got popped off a couple of times and just generally look beat. I'd be kind of embarrassed to suggest that it wasn't my fault, if anything is indeed wrong with them.

I'll do my service to them and report back after tomorrow.

I went out and triple checked the mic's. Hoping that I was just an idiot. Unfortunately not, this time.

You can buy new mics or speakers as well. We have more than two sets so I have at times just used a mic/speaker from another set to debug where the problems is.

Something is still up, the unit in my hardhat is the one acting up I think. I just can't here the other guy very well, but now he can hear me fine.

I have had my unit pop off my helmet, down into the brush, out of a tree, more than once. I am not used to having things like cameras or the comm unit in a vulnerable position when I'm paying no attention, busting a hump up a tree. Now, with the Wraptor, I'm facing up more while ascending, and cutting things below me more. Easier on me and the comm.

We have challenges sometimes with one unit being the 'master' between two other units. The two others don't want to connect. Numerous times of trying to re-"pair"/ reconnect the units, but no dice. That was our last work day. Probably will be okay when we get the three together and re-"pair" them.

I"ll buy new ones, no problem, when needed. I will rig things now that I wouldn't have during the old shouting days. Lift and lower bigger pieces in tight places rather than piecing out.

I've just seen a video of August Hunckle using the Sena set in a Protos.
Does anyone else have this?
I wouldn't want to use a comms set daily so I'd prefer to remove it when not needed. I'm wondering if it can just unclip easily from a helmet without wearing out the clip.
Also, just wondering how user friendly is it with the Protos or is it preferable on a different helmet?
Thanks.

I have the Protos too. I moved a comm set from my Kask to the Protos and it is as easy as could be. The pac clips in and out daily for charging, goin on two yrs now. Excellent helmet and superb communication units.

I don't understand why you would ever take it off of the helmet. We use ours every day, even if Im working alone I listen to music. Trust me if you get some you wont take them off, buy the "R's" also

I charge mine on the helmet. If one comm unit battery goes flat, I swap with little main body between helmets, as yesterday, as we had two on site, not three crew. I don't take it off, how would I answer calls and order lunch delivery in the tree?

It only comes off at the end of the day to charge. I can only fit just so much shit on my dash.

I charge them in the truck and shop.. They last us at least 10 hrs on a charge and sometimes more. No point in taking the unit off.
The double sided sticky stuff (like on the battery) is the worst issue we have had with them. I like the bigger button better. Easier for me to talk. Bump it a bit much in crowded canopy. Oh well.. Give and take.
Just make my job so much easier and so much more polite.

Back