Big Shot Trigger

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
I just got a "Big Shot" today and I already had one of the trigger snaps that they sell for $60. I'm trying to figure out how to properly attach it in an adjustable way. Any ideas?

Burnham should be along in a little while. He made up a sweet little system using a small prussik loop and a tiny little VT hitch to hold tension. I remember him posting some pictures of the setup.

Mine just hangs on the pole, used five times maybe in as many years. Hand works better.

Sorry for the tardy reply...busy at work last week, then took off Friday and Monday-Tuesday for a trip up north to visit family and friends.

Here's the pics of the trigger arrangement that I set up. It gives you 2:1 ma for cocking, and the little distel hitch (black 2mm cord) captures the gain of each cocking stroke. The base ring of the release tends the hitch as you pull the purple 5mm cord down. The end of that cord is anchored to the bottom of the pole with a prusik hitch.

I find that my accuracy is improved even on shorter shots, as I can concentrate completely on the aim before triggering the throw.

I can cock it to within about one foot from the end of my set of two four foot poles, which provides far more height, or the ability to punch through some leaves and twigs, than I can manage with a hand release.
Dscn0912.jpg Dscn0913.jpg Dscn0914.jpg Dscn0902.jpg

Sweet setup Burnham - I might try to mod mine your way.

The real problem I have with the setup is how it pulls the throwbag up against the pole itself. Maybe it doesn't matter, but it always bothered me and I found that I can get a pretty steady shot regardless of how far down I pull.

But then again I'm really really strong. ;-]

By the way, did anyone else notice the large amount of unintended innuendo in this thread? I started it with "Hand works better," then I'm followed with "the gain of each cocking stroke."

Really winch, it doesn't hurt anything for the bag to be touching the pole. And there is no way you can set up for really high shots just by handing the bag...you just don't have frequent need for shots like that, I suspect. In that case, simple is almost always best.

Back