Whipping

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Anyone have GOOD directions of sailmaker whipping on a rope other than a three strand. I can't seem to wrap my head around watching it done on three strand (youtube), and put that to a double braid, or similar rope.

What size is a good all around whipping too, from 7/16" rope to 3/4" tenex

WesSpur sells a whipping twine which is about perfect. I also used 1.8mm Zing It before even though it's a tad large.

It's pretty simple .You just lay a loop in parrllel with line ,make your turns on the whip loop through the loop and pull in under all the whip .

Or more simple yet get a piece of heavy shrink tube and heat gun .

Do you want to learn whipping or the whip lock? Whip lock combines a lock stitch and whipping to make a very secure and sexy whipping.

I've had good luck using carpenter's chalk line twine for whipping. Pretty strong material and I like the diameter. Rubbing some white or yellow woodworking glue into the whipping seals it and makes for a very durable surface. With that you don't get moisture trapped under the surface either, one complaint about certain types of twine when mismatched with the rope.

I followed Nick's video for all my whipping; haven't had any issues.
Nice touch doing it with the whipping twine doubled. Makes it go quickly.

That's a great vid. Shows the Yale Whiplock very clearly.

I like mine better though! (mine does have the advantage that the ends don't need to be melted after being cut, leaving a more sexy looking finished product)

That's a great vid. Shows the Yale Whiplock very clearly.

I like mine better though! (mine does have the advantage that the ends don't need to be melted after being cut, leaving a more sexy looking finished product)

I agree, Nick. I like your way better, too. :thumbup::thumbup:

BTW: Very similar to Brion Toss's "Palm-and-Needle Whipping: Braid Whipping" (pp155-8, Chapman's Nautical Guides - Knots, Brion Toss, 1990)

EDIT: While I do like your way better ... I'm not sure about the "sexy" bit. The concept of 'sexy whipping' makes me a little uncomfortable ... :lol:

I used to use the yale whiplock until I started reading Toss's stuff. That was the first whipping style I used that I really liked. I'm not sure if I've changed it over the years or if it's pretty much the same- but I really like it.

Good stuff! I think even I could follow that tutorial, thanks for posting!

Can I get someone to clarify the whole lock stitch/whipping thing for me. I am clear on how to do a lock stitch with whipping and the difference between the two. Where I am not so clear is on a tight eye splice where it should be placed. I have read 3 inches down from the eye and somewhere else it says as close to the eye as possible. My last question is sewing the crossover before the bury. Is this just personal preference, does it give the splice more stability? I have read through the entire splicing forums and watched all the videos I am just a bit overwhelmed with knowledge right now and want to make sure my splices are done right before climbing on them.

Back