Tent

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 49
  • Views 6K
Meh, I 'll stick to my middle of the road, less than $150 each, used for 15+ years of camping so far tents. :D

Attachments

• P8011236 (Large).jpg
    P8011236 (Large).jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 4
Mine are 3 season tents indeed, I have used them in quite cold weather but never with snow load, they wouldn't take it. If its that shitty out, I aint going Boss. ;)

Sometimes the most magnificent places you want to go can throw winter at you in the midst of summer :).

If you know the limits of your gear and act accordingly, you are doing it right :).

Meh - it'd be a bore all alone and, for the most part, I wouldn't do it unarmed. Since the law says I can't own a firearm I guess I'll probably never go camping.

Huh.

When the first real super class tent, the North Face VE 24 came out, there was only one outdoor store chain in Denmark that had it.
So they decided that marking it up by 200% would be a fine thing to do.

I parrallel imported a whole bunch of those for friends and friends's friends.

I had my buddy in california repack them and include a letter in Danish, that i wrote, saying. " We've rented a camper, so we don't need the tent anymore". That way the Danish tax people couldn't slap an import tax on them:)

Butch, you need to loose your paranoia.

In the 10+ years that I hitchhiked around the world, and camped out more often than not, I didn't have a single bad encounter, except for a big grizzly bear up in Canada, that turned out to be 2 drunk indians.
If I'd been packing, that incident would have been real embarrasing.

Cant be armed here, been camping for many years, so far so good.

Burnham, I hear you about knowing the limits of gear, I think with my current inventory the tents would be my limiting factor, for snow loading. For rain, wind and cold they are fine. I think if I had to be a tent camper again in inclement situation or potentially so, I would go for something like a Eureka K-2, if I was going to be spendy. :)

Edit: Stig, great story.

Yea, it does suck, B. The armed part could be easily resolved by having someone with me that WAS, however.

That looks like it would do the trick, Paul :).

Here's our Sierra Designs Tiros Expedition...unfortunately no longer made, but I have seen them offered through some of the secondary suppliers still. I particularly like the rectangular footprint...much easier to find a flat spot to fit it in the mountains than the larger base that domes have.

Attachments

• Dscn0451.jpg
    Dscn0451.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 7
We're back to that armed business again :D. I just can't see the need...what critter could you possibly fear in LA? Thousands of you fellow south-easterners camp out every year without a gun, I feel sure. They sure aren't getting eaten up very often, or I think we'd hear about it, don't you?

people like Gary Hilton...killed two in Pisgah 2007
or dude that shot two in Linville in 1998

it aint bears...maybe drunk indians though....or the occassional sociopath

if I were in the back country of the high sierra....no woories. Lots of "drifters" frquent the forest servce property here.

you should go camping anyway butch.

PM sent. Int'l shipping has become rather expensive now. Once there was the good old days when people could send small parcels relatively cheaply by boat. Seemed like a ripoff when the USPS eliminated the service, right before the airlines started to gouge.

We're back to that armed business again :D. I just can't see the need...what critter could you possibly fear in LA?

I'm more worried about man than animal, especially in isolation. In any camp anywhere, the one with the firearm rules the camp. But I AM worried about animals, too.

It's okay I guess but I spent most of my childhood vacations tent camping and prefer these days to camp in Holiday Inn or something .

Back