Tent

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 49
  • Views 6K
I do carry a gun on my treks around South Carolina. Never hand a chance to even think about using it though. But I have hiked quite a few miles on the AT without carrying. Really if you don't camp in the popular spots or close to roads you should never have a problem. Course not everyone is cut out for backcountry camping either.

I'm more worried about man than animal, especially in isolation. In any camp anywhere, the one with the firearm rules the camp. But I AM worried about animals, too.

I think your ideal situation would be to head out to the bayou in a canoe with your favorite hanging tree tent. Not too many people go into the swamp and if you are off the ground that eliminates a lot of the critters (gators, snakes, and coons) that will mess with you in the night.

In FL I have a platform in the swamp that's sweet. Its been there for almost four years now and no one has messed with it. I posted these in another thread about tree boats or something....This is the redneck version made of plywood and rope...just put your tent on top. All in all I think the whole rig cost me maybe $300.

100_0705.jpg 100_0711.jpg 100_0712.jpg

That is indeed extremely cool. I can see that working for me on our next Everglades canoe expedition...a definite "do again" come retirement days.

It must be cool out there at night. Are the bugs bad?
They are definitely bad in the summer, but I its too hot to camp then anyways, imho. Also, it can be raised up to about 15 feet off of the ground (ropes holding it go through shackles attached to the tree and then back to the ground). And the bugs are less bad up there for some reason. In the winter they aren't too bad. I raise it when camping then lower it to hide it when not there.

That is indeed extremely cool. I can see that working for me on our next Everglades canoe expedition...a definite "do again" come retirement days.

The everglades are awesome! This platform is transportable but not light and it takes up pretty much a whole canoe. The 4x8 sheet of pressure treated plywood is ripped down the center for easier transport. Then the 4 braces across the bottom hold it together in the air; they are also what the 8 ropes coming down are attached to. I guess its kind of like a suspension bridge design.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Heres one for you Butch http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Space-Station™/OU9480,default,pd.html Still by falls several thousand short of some even more expensive ones.

Paul that Eureka K2 is an extremely underated tent. Escpecially among folks that would not stoop to own a Eureka. I own a Eureka Outfitter Assault 4 that I love. Its big, it's heavy doesnt work well when the temp get much past 70 degrees. But it would take a tree to flatten it.

Butch there are other ways to defend your self that are quite effective. In some states legal issues regarding firearm possesion dont affect them. Knowing the area you live you should consider it for your home anyways.

I slept overnight in the woods last week. It was the night before deer season opened and I wanted to be in place and allow others to spook the deer to my area at daybreak without me doing the same. It was cold fo sho. I had 2 or 3 coyotes trotting around me for awhile until they got spooked and left. I made a nest out of spruce boughs in my ground blind.

I'm quite proud of my tent, which no longer holds water out, but it is the Early Winters Light Dimension, serial #16, which makes it the 16th piece of Gore Tex outdoor product ever made. A super light 3.5 pounds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Winters Anyhow, that's what I was told back then, but this link says EW first made a goretex parka.. http://www.oregonphotos.com/Early-Winters-1.html The tent, a green one, whereas mine is yellow, is pictured.

Before the LD, Bill Nicolai designed the famous Omnipotent, his first product which was also ahead of its time, and the best tent for withstanding high winds.

I used to sleep in a treehouse platform I built as a teen. I built a small fire that didn't smoke me out, but it seemed to keep the bugs at bay. We had 4 of us sleep in it once. We were quite a bit smaller then. My kids remember the treehouse, but the Red Oak I built it in is starting to fall apart. It wasn't in great shape in '67 when I built it. I had the best rope swing in the area. You climbed up the hill with the rope and then got up on a platform. A long ride and a bunch of elevation. What I would give for pics.

Jeff, that elevated tent is awesome. Have you ever heard of Hennessy Hammocks? I have two of them and they are awesome too, great for staying up off the ground.

IMG_1044.jpg

I also have a Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 that I like a lot, but I use a hammock usually when camping. Actually, some of my best nights sleep come when I sleep in my Mayan hammock... sleeps two nice and cozy:D and I have one hanging in my living room :)

hamaca-crochet.jpg

Oh those danged hammocks .You don't sleep on them you sleep in them .If you try and roll over the damned things will toose you out .

I'd about think if anybody was fool hardy enough to sleep in the top of a tree in one like a squirrel you'd best wear a harness tied off .Imagine that,roll over only to wake up like a spider dangling 30 feet off the ground .

You don't roll out of a treeboat hammock, Al.
That is pretty near impossible.
But I still sleep in harness, though.

Ha I've fell out of those damned things that were at best two-three feet off the ground .Even that short can knock wind out of you from a sound sleep .Hell of a way to wake up I'll tell you that .

okeefenokee swamp is some really cool camping...lots of elevated platforms and a few islands too. awesome paddle too

I like my wall tent. CO Tent has been making canvas products since 1890.

Attachments

• CO Tent.jpg
    CO Tent.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 7
We used to put two army surplus 12 by 16 squad tents back to back and a Reeves air tight in each end on those hunting trips to Colorado .It got so hot it would nearly run you out if you fired the stoves hard . Those damned tents must have weighed a hundred pounds each .

Back