selling logs , a better way

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Though I really don't consider myself a logger, I have been doing my share this year. We usually call for the truck when we have at least 3500bf on the landing ... we pay to have our logs taken to to one of the local mill yards. Logs are scaled in our absence, a week later we get a check (usually much smaller than anticipated). Our skidder driver comes from a logging family, called the mill when we had a load. Log buyer and log truck came to the landing, scaled in front of us, loaded and cut us a check (more like the right amount) on the spot. Much better way to sell, I swear the scale was more fair and if I didn't think so the buyer said I could refuse... Much Better Way to sell.

All dimensions, length/diameter, of a log and its scale are in the book. After the logs get shipped and the mill gets through deducting for defect a seller will more than likely get only about half of what they are expecting for the volume they sold to the mill

Oh yes! It is far better for the private seller to have their logs scaled on the landing than at the mill. There's no surprises that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is true that we only really know board foot. , grade is the scaler's call ...softwood is much easier to guess ... Joel believe it or not we used Allard... made Veneer on e few hundred feet, the rest sawlogs

... also. , for some uknowwn reason ... there appeared a thirty pack of Budweiser on the landing ... to, allievieate the stress of scaling .... LOL !!!

Though I really don't consider myself a logger, I have been doing my share this year. We usually call for the truck when we have at least 3500bf on the landing ... we pay to have our logs taken to to one of the local mill yards. Logs are scaled in our absence, a week later we get a check (usually much smaller than anticipated). Our skidder driver comes from a logging family, called the mill when we had a load. Log buyer and log truck came to the landing, scaled in front of us, loaded and cut us a check (more like the right amount) on the spot. Much better way to sell, I swear the scale was more fair and if I didn't think so the buyer said I could refuse... Much Better Way to sell.

As it should be. A logger is in the business of selling logs.

When I was a touch younger, I got screwed so hard by the mill one time I can still feel it when I sit down. After working FOR the mill in the woods for year, and gaining a touch of experience, the fellas in the log yard are pretty straight with me now.

Sweden has a neat system.
The scalers are state hired, so they don't get paid by either the mills or the loggers.
So they measure everything by the book.

Mill tick says the most valuable piece was a small butt log that graded HardMapleVeneer2 ... 2500 dollars a thousand ... wish we had a whole load of those!

Sweden has a neat system.
The scalers are state hired, so they don't get paid by either the mills or the loggers.
So they measure everything by the book.

Same here, Stig, the scale is always by the book, but the scalers still have to abide by what the mill dictates for mis manufacturer and defect.. It's policy. so not a whole lot has changed.

Same here, Stig, the scale is always by the book, but the scalers still have to abide by what the mill dictates for mis manufacturer and defect.. It's policy. so not a whole lot has changed.

.the mills are competing for logs, the price sheet can specify some pretty high numbers to get you to sell to them, seems like you never hit that high grade often or enough

Back