zipline - swinging limbs

I often use HMWPE (spectra) lines to limit sag or stretch.
This makes such a difference with popping up limbs from over infrastructure. Force applied goes into lifting, not stretching, plus you don't have the weight of a typical speedline rope. Without a load on the line, like if you we felling a pull tree, you can really almost pull the belly out of HMWPE lines by hand .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a good job we did the november before last, I believe. Powerlines and a road behind, and buildings in front. Several companies had looked at the job, and had priced in cranes, huge bucket trucks and road-blocks etc. Two rival companies asked me to look at at it with them. The solution was blindingly obvious. The cheapest bid won. Not much in the way of swinging limbs but what the hell, it sorta relative. We took out 3 big firs and 2 smaller ones. Some footage from the latter stages of the job. Use HD setting

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lRAApoPnYZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dang Reg! Long day eh? Pretty tall for a Noble eh? Excellent video. Look like great guys to work with (for Canukians) too. Now, if we could just find a way to get rid of that dog of a 201. :lol:

Cool vid, Reg. That looked like an example of a pretty steep speed line. I guess if a speed line gets too steep/high speed you can just add a let down/haul back line and get all the control you need but at the expense of extra gear/set up time.

"Do they have hippies in England'" lol.

Nice job Reg. I love the effort you put into understanding & perfecting even the simplest system & then taking it up a notch with ease :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice job Reg. I love the effort you put into understanding & perfecting even the simplest system & then taking it up a notch with ease :)

Thanks Pete. Although like Roger said, zipline been around for ever....but it doesn't hurt to be reminded of the option either. We've also used it to skid huge piles of grounded brush to roadsides also....used the stripped out tree as the spar pole; let the line sag over the brush while you sling it up, then pull the line tight with a truck at the roadside and out it comes. Faster than any winch I've used.

Back