Your McGyver stories.

I once couldn't find a safe stable career so in a pinch I used tree work to get the job done until something came about.

Well if you don't have duct tape I suppose you have to wing it anyway you can .Oh I do miss binder twine and hay wire .

Bounced a F150 a little to hard going over a little hill, popped 3-tires. No, this story won't work as a McGuyver moment - I called a wrecker.

Wrapped a friends hot rod around a light pole... nah, called a wrecker on that one too.

Ran the boat out of gas in the middle of the lake... nah, somebody else towed me to shore.

Why am I even posting in this thread?

Had a large 20"+ diameter locut co-dom lead, that was attached to a large stump at about 5', fail and lay down across some wires and over a fence, and hang up in maple.... the lead was nearly horizontal, with one of the co-dom leads was hung in the maple at about 15-20', while the other was hanging over the lawn.. It was putting a lot of pressure on the wires, (tight as piano wires) but they were thick phone lines, so they'd hold.

Cut the free hanging half off, trimmed all the brush to the pressure points on the remaining half, hung in the maple, and set a lowering line in the maple tip tied to what was left. From the stump there was about 5' to the wires, then another 25-30' to the maple. There was no crane access to the backyard... then used a ladder to "measure" the height of the horizontal stem, which was maybe 8-9', cut a section of log to size, from the co-dom that was already down.. Three men to wrestle that thing in place as a support column, maybe 8' past the wires.. Stood on a ladder and cut just past the column, finished the cut with a pole pruner.. Support held the piece in place, like a diving board.. while the top half was lowered out of the maple..

Then stood up on the stump and cut the but free.. it was cool.. with the weight coming off the wires that had been pushing out, the piece came back in towards me for a second, then the wires recoiled and threw the big hunk of wood back over the fence landing harmlessly on the lawn.

You can see the cut at 45 seconds here.... quality is poor as it was taken on a phone. Best to watch it on small screen.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4g0IxZL7xwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ran out of diesel before we made landfall returning to BDA from the east coast in our schooner...mixed kerosene and oil...got back in on fumes...it was dead calm also, so no sailing.

No money for a visit to the boat slip...away up in Maine, get in as shallow as possible at high tide...three masts, 9 halyards, join 3 on each side, one side to an anchor, another side to a dock. Let tide fall, tighten halyards on the way down and balance a 60' 26 ton sailboat on its keel, walk around the bottom at low tide with scrub brushes and bucket...adjust as tide comes back in and good to go!

Had an old GMC conversion van that was soon to be scrap, but was saving it for one last trip to a folk fest in central PA... lots of problems, exhaust leak, and it would intermittently just quit at idle, then wouldn't start without a jump until it cooled off.. I had taken the insurance off... A friend had been borrowing it, and I asked him to clean it out and he took the jumper cables and all the tools... Had met a new girlfriend there, who would become the mother of my son... she was driving a rental car.. it rained all weekend, was cold and nasty weather, and I had what I thought was the flu, but turned out to be lyme.. I could barely move.. told her I wanted to go straight home.. no stopping..
We're on the PA turnpike when she starts flashing her lights behind me.. pull over at a little turn out and the van dies.. she had written a song on the ride, and wanted me to hear it... OK lets hear the song.. oh.. she said "your van died... hope that's not a problem".. Not as long as I can get it started before a cop shows up and asks to see the insurance.. That's when I found out there was no jumper cables...

Fortunately I had a couple of wrenches in my backpack that I had found by the boiler of an abandoned house... One just happened to be 5/16, which is what was needed to take off the side terminal cables.. and both the van and her rental car had the same battery... we're all good I thought.. only to find out that one battery terminal in the van was stripped... Now what? Found an old rusty brick chisel in the van, scraped it down on the blacktop, and used it to jump the positive terminals, but couldn't ground the upside down battery becasue the hood support rod was in the way.. fortunately had a 6' pole saw section that was used for a tent pole, to prop the hood.. made the ground directly from battery to vehicle and tell her to turn the key... just then a cop pulls up right along side.. she hesitates cause of the cop.. "Turn the key" I yell with a little more emphasis.. she tries but can't.. nasty old ignition switch... I yell "two hands"... van cranks and turns over.. I give a thumbs up to the cop... he rolls his window down.. pulls up a couple feet.. I walk up to his car, but he just takes off.. Thank God it was raining and he didn't want to get wet... he just pulled up a couple feet and rolled down the window to get a good look at the inspection stickers..

Turned out to be a good song.. took me another week to figure out I had lyme and 5 years to get over it...

during a rope solo ascent of the original route on Whiteside MTn.......finished last two pitches in pouring rain only to be beknighted.....headlamp would not work.......found my way back to trail with the indiglo light on watch.

Heading to the logging show in Eugene one year, boss let us take fuel and a crummy up. About 90 miles from home the throttle cable broke on an old 7.3 pre power stroke ford. We turned one end of the cable into a farmers eye, tied a couple strings we cut off our bed rolls and routed it up under the hood and through the passenger wing window. Ben was at Jake's mercy for speed to the next town! On our way to the ford dealer an old fellow was crossing the street and Ben could have crawled under his seat as Jake reved the throttle over and over. We got a cable, went to a market and bought a key chain crescent wrench to put the new cable in and hit the road again

Back