What are your standard hand and verbal signals?

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
Signals for rigging, pulling, driving/ backing...

For us,

whether crane cable, pull line, or rigging line: we are using what I believe to be the standard crane signal for cable up/ in or down/ out: horizontal upper arm, with vertical forearm, pointer finger extended and circling, up or down, respectively.

Stop: same arm position (upward), fist closed, slight shake.

Little more (like pull a little more, back up the truck a little more): add pointer and thumb pinching gesture.

Let it run: "yellow pages let your fingers do the walking (running)" gesture.

Crash land a limb (let tips hit, but control the butt end when butt rigging): Fist falling into open palm.

Snub off a piece: same as Stop up above.
Top or tree falling: Tap top of head and point direction that its heading.

For vehicles, we always use Passenger Side or Driver Side for the direction of the vehicle or trailer and call out things like '12 feet', '10 feet', 8', 6', 4', than using our hands spread apart to show the driver in the mirror the actual amount left, getting down to the pinching gesture. I hate when people say things like "keep coming, keep coming, keep coming, Stop, STOP, STOP!" I'd rather know if I should creep back or steadily back up, without having to worry about doing a panic stop or damage something.

What do you do?

we have some basic signals we use for crane jobs, and backing up vehicles. often we can hear each other well, but to be honest our little crew is so used to working with each other that we hardly ever say or signal anything. things just seem to flow, everyone knows whats going on. of course it helps that three of us are climbers and our perminent ground guy has been here for 10 years. I've only worked for 3 tree companys and I've noticed that most crews do not function the way ours does. I'm gonna miss that as I am transitioning into my own business I'm sure I'm gonna have to deal with poor ground help and communication problems.

images

images

images

pateps3.jpg

middle-finger-9865954.jpg

tapping my hard hat means im going to kill you with falling debris if you dont get clear and keep your eyes up:P. standard winch up and winch down crane signals apply to the chipper winch and to rigging. on rigging, "winch down" means let the piece run, and "winch up" means pre tension the line or lift the piece as it is cut. clenched fist held upright means stop, or snub the load in rigging. "traveling", like in basketball, means i need a rigging rope. kind of a fist pumping mimic of using a pole pruner for that tool and the same motion down low to indicate need chainsaw (looks like pulling a pull cord). "hang loose" means my saw needs fuel. pointing at my eyes and then something (the street, some one cutting, a target in the work zone, etc) means pay attention to that thing. thumbs up means everything is ok and i am ready to cut or run the rope, it also means it is ok to enter the lz after a cut is made. backing up vehicles is thumb or index pointing the direction of travel for turns, open palm held upright with palm facing left for go straight. pinching fingers and thumb for creep back, and holding hands apart to indicate distance to close for backing into trailers or tight spots. for those of us on the crew who have been working together for a long time, it sometimes amazes me what can be communicated with a few totally random hand gestures. on the flipside it really sucks working with someone who just cannot understand your signals, and/or doesnt look up often enough.

I like to call out or have it called out when backing up 10 feet, 6 feet, and then go to hand signal. Arm out horizontal, index finger making rapid circles-speed it up. Arm out, hand flat, pushing down-slow it down.

We have signals for 1/2" x120' line, 1/2' x150', 1/2'x 120' beater line, 3/4" line, pulley block, pole saw/pole clip/long and short, go get (something), power pruner, Idle up, idle down, leave it running, kill the engine, park here, back it in here, what do you think (about this given situation), pull, pull hard, pull now, push, stop, let it run, dont let it run, curl down, curl up, loppers, all the basic crane signals, turn off or on the back up alarm, traffic cones, guide me backing up, look over the pruning job for anything missed, walk (to somewhere), knock on the front door, talk to (someone), is this good or bad (an idea or plan)?, disconnect the trailer, connect the trailer, trailer is connected, stop traffic, watch for flying dead stuff, little bit (of anything), a lot or heavy (of anything), big saw, little saw, blower, rake, use eye protection, use dust protection, take your time, what time is it, cut it here, cell phone, walkie talkie, park the trucks very close together, choker chain, wire choker, winch, go slow, let go, headlights on or off, follow it (the trailer when backing up), straighten out (the trailer), put trailer ramps down, install chock, pull chock, hard hat, wheelbarrow, gas up saws, take pictures, check out hot women approaching, food/water, apply down pressure, pry bar, pitch fork, coil ropes, ok or not ok to enter LZ, check chute angle, check flipper angle, wedges, peavey.

Back