Your biggest blunder?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 319
  • Views 37K
didnt enforce our no clove hitch policy on big rigging
anyways
$1000.00ins deductable paid and from now on only running bowline on a bite or 1/2 hitch
dropped a grease gun sized stub and it bounced and went thru the roof...earned the nickname crash

Dropped a small china tree on Robs head once... but that was his blunder not mine... Walked right into my LZ while I was back cutting after he was already seen out of the LZ... His words.. "my fault, I heard the saw and just thought you were cutting a real little one.. " It was 40 feet high, but nuttin bigger than 1-1/2 in the top that hit him... saw stars though, and he never has walked into my LZ again.... ;)

Reactions: Sep
Oh man, that sucks! Did you get fined?
i think it started out at 15k fine and after voluntary inspections and such it was reduced to 300 bucks. it was right before i left my last employer to go out on my own. i felt horrible as we never even seen osha before that day

some how forgetting to clip my belt to the bucket, i was always clipped in, dont know how i forgot. unfortunatly osha was there clicking pics:(

I wonder if osha has rules about keeping your pants on at job sites?

After repeatedly telling my new ground guy (& friend) to put on his helmet and telling him to stay out from under the drop-zone...and him saying he'll put it on later and he'll be fine...etc.

He walked under a limb I was cutting with the pole saw & it released just before I realized he had walked under it. It nailed him solid on the head!

The first words out of his mouth (after a lot of cuss works) was, "I know,I know, you told me so"! Next thing he did was put on a helmet and only entered the DZ after asking me first. Hard lesson to learn for sure!

I still felt like shit because I didn't see him enter the DZ and to this day he still has some hearing loss from one ear because of it, :( .

HC

Lets face it though, you told him, chances are he was clear when you checked before making the cut, and the saw man's job is watching the saw while cutting.. Not your fault.

I realize that but I should have been more aware of the situation.

I should have stopped work and told him he has a choice to follow the safety rules or go home!

Letting my boss talk me into voting to sell our company stock to the new owner.

Hiring and firing the same guy three times. I was a slow learner on that one. I finally woke up after he crashed the chip truck.

Using a clove hitch to set a line I was rappeling on. 35 ft is a long way to fall. They don't call me Bounce for nuthin.

Listening to other people can sometimes get you into a lot of trouble, I found as well. Louder voices doesn't mean jack.

Back