Would you use .058 chain in a .063 bar?

mrdiesel

TreeHouser
Hi all,

I mainly run huskies and am trying to get down to two types of chain. These would be .325 058 and 3/8 058. I also have a 660 with about four bars ranging from 24 inch to 36 inch which are all .063. If i put a .058 chain on these bars i can see a little extra slop in the bar but im wondering what else could be affected.

Im mainly using the bigger saws for blocking down sections or ripping so im not really doing many fells of sticks. Also i generally using full skip chain

Cheers Gents

I wonder how the chain tracking will be, maybe all over the place? It seems that it could also cause quick wear on the bar groove and chain drivers. It might cause uneven wear on the bar edge as well. Doing that is probably a screw up.

In the past I have ... all the twenty inch bars ran 73 / 73's , had one saw (bought used) that rear sprocket and bar was set fo 73 / 72's ... although maybe not perfect I often ran the 72 chains on the 73 bar with no problems.

With that much play in the chain, I think it kind of defeats the purpose of the cutter angles working in opposition to give a balance and straight tracking.

File one side's cutters at 10 degrees and the other's at 35, you could probably do a circular cut.

I just run .063 on all my saws bigger than a 200t. As you wear out a bar replace it with the size you want to use and soon enough you will only need to buy 1 roll of chain for all your saws

Sometimes when groove is too wide and filing is not optimal the chain seek support in the groove side.
As it do the chain wear worn and damage to bar and drivelink follow.

:lol: I got a saw from the west cost that came with the most cobbled up chain I'd ever seen .24" hard nose bar 58 thou .The danged chain was a hodge podge of both skip and full in 50 and 58 all spun together .

It really didn't cut as awfull as it might sound but I replaced it .The danged thing is probabley hanging on a nail some place because I don't seem to throw anything away .

I get a bunch of chains from a dead 575xp, same size for the 20" guide on the ms440, but 0,058. So I use them, not really worrying on the bar's wear, because it's a cheap one.
They work well, given that I keep them sharp, straight cut, even less wobble than a low cost 0,063 chain I bought for trial (I'll certainly not buy again this bar/chain combo, cheap but low quality).
Just don't touch anything but clean wood.

Back