would you buy this gun??

I have a m9a1 steyr. Most self defence scenarios are from 7 to 10 ft away. If I were outside and further than that I would rush to that distance. Keeping a low profile.

I have a m9a1 steyr. Most self defence scenarios are from 7 to 10 ft away. If I were outside and further than that I would rush to that distance. Keeping a low profile.

You stats are more or less accurate. These distances are so close, not by choice,but by necessity on the part of those defending thenselves.
We usually can't pick where and when our battles will take place, but if we can, we want to be in a position of advantage. If you are't cheatin, you aren't tryin'.

If surprised, or caught off guard, agression is counterintuative, but is often an effective tactic, "taking the fight to them."

If given the luxury if time, and seeing the fight is coming, closing the distance seems a little..... odd. Kind of a broad statement on my part I guess. Most gun fights are'nt preplanned events.

It could also get you into legal trouble, since it might make you look like the aggressor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Charge a gun, flee a knife.......

or dont be a dumb ass and get in a fight:lol:

The original impetus for trying to get used to firearms was to protect the property hence the shotgun. However when Im walking around the property I am not likely to carry a shotgun, hence a pistol. I dont intend to carry it off of the property . All this in anticipation of bad economic times ahead where lots of desperate and unprepared folks (welfare state) will start to try to plunder anybody who is better prepared.

Another big concern of mine is have you ever thought about how the masses will react if our power grid goes out for say a month. Not hard for any disgruntalled organizations to take out the grid.. No fuel, no food, no cc. transactions, no internet, CHAOS.

My Mrs thinks Im crazy but shoot Id much rather be prepared and not need it:|:

Charge a gun, flee a knife.......

or dont be a dumb ass and get in a fight:lol:

The original impetus for trying to get used to firearms was to protect the property hence the shotgun. However when Im walking around the property I am not likely to carry a shotgun, hence a pistol. I dont intend to carry it off of the property . All this in anticipation of bad economic times ahead where lots of desperate and unprepared folks (welfare state) will start to try to plunder anybody who is better prepared.

Another big concern of mine is have you ever thought about how the masses will react if our power grid goes out for say a month. Not hard for any disgruntalled organizations to take out the grid.. No fuel, no food, no cc. transactions, no internet, CHAOS.

My Mrs thinks Im crazy but shoot Id much rather be prepared and not need it:|:

Well said that man. My sentiments exactly....

If your scenario plays out..........I bet you carry the shotgun.

No guns possible, I'm just waiting on a thread about using clubs for self defense when the sh@t hits the fan.. Gladiators. :evil:

I stay out and away from trouble. That being said if I had to USE my 9mm to defend my family or myself I would not be messing around. I am trained with firearms (Marines) I know what escalation of force is and I really hope that I never have to go that far. As far as charging someone with a shotgun with buck shot.....I don't think I would like to be facing off someone with a shotgun unless I had a rifle, and alot of distance.

Staying out of trouble..... A sudden confrontation is one thing, but when I'm in a city, I try to pay attention to what is going on around me. If I eat out, before walking to my car in a parking lot, I scan the scene, look for undesirable possibilities, that kind of thing. Sometimes if I am with someone, I like to see how attentive they are to doing similar, and most just don't seem to pay much attention at all. Maybe I'm paranoid or something, and it's not like a nervous thing always looking over my shoulder. I more think it is being practical these days.

Staying out of trouble..... A sudden confrontation is one thing, but when I'm in a city, I try to pay attention to what is going on around me. If I eat out, before walking to my car in a parking lot, I scan the scene, look for undesirable possibilities, that kind of thing. Sometimes if I am with someone, I like to see how attentive they are to doing similar, and most just don't seem to pay much attention at all. Maybe I'm paranoid or something, and it's not like a nervous thing always looking over my shoulder. I more think it is being practical these days.

That is a good way to be. I don't know how the crime rate is over there, but here there seems to be a large group of crazy people doing stupid things.

If you did that while carrying concealed, some would say your looking to find trouble

People say a CHL holder is afraid to go out without a gun or looking for a fight if they do as Jay suggested, silly things to say IMO

I am looking around most of the time I am in Baton Rouge, really hard when I am down town. That dose not mean that I am looking for someone robbing someone else or anything....Thats what the cops are for....Most of the time cops just investigate crimes more than stop them though. So really you are responsible for your own safety more than the cops are.......... Got ya Willie

Last edited:
True enough Jay, alotta folks would never know trouble was coming till they woke up

I'm ultra aware myself. Always instinctively position myself in optimum positions for observing and fleeing. Or if my families around optimum positioning for intervening if need be. It's just instinct too, I wouldn't call it paranoia. Never could I ever dream of walking around with headphones on or staring at a screen(cellphone) or something.

You have to think that when humans get to a point where they don't take an active interest in their own self preservation, high tech gadgets aside, intelligence has regressed to a point of even before our ancient ancestor crawled out of the primordial ooze.

Back