Working on a Dead Elm

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I've got this Elm to bid. There is a fat tie in in the middle about 8-10" at the crotch. Back side bark peeling, side towards camera bark still on, and I believe the bottom leader is still alive. I've got the option to tie into the Maple next door, or just tie into the Elm with a back up in the Maple.

Anyone work on dead Elm? Some of the rear pieces will have to get lowered, but I recon the tips will explode and only leave a couple hundred pounds per piece. Then if I can get enough brush out I can bomb the rest between two Pears and a Maple.

Ideas, concerns, opinions?

Attachments

• DSC00214.jpg
    DSC00214.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 10
It is hard to tell, but from the pic it looks like you have some TIP's in larger wood. Dead American Elm is sturdy stuff, just stay away from any small TIP's.

Trying into the tree next door is not a bad idea, but it looks to me to be a fresh dead so the wood should be sound.

I can't see a lot from the pic, but if it's as dead as it looks,I SHORE 'NUFF wouldn't be rigging out of it. And even moreso, I'd be danged careful about tieing into it. As far as "tieing into the next tree," until they come out with a breakaway lanyard, I'm ALWAYS wary about doing that!

Just remember, no tree's worth hurting yourself. Pass on it, let someone else collect the check.

Live to work another day!

Trying into the tree next door is not a bad idea,

I disagree. It's almost always an unsafe method and another way needs to be cyphered.

I cut a lot of dead Elm for firewood. Sometimes the bark hangs on and it will be rotten. Other times the bark will all fall off and it will stay hard as a rock. The small limbs condition will give you a good idea on the trees condition. They rot first. Usually 3 " wood stays solid. I have never seen one break off at the base before it was in obviously very poor condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's probably 1.5 yrs in decline. I was there pruning the Pears underneath and didn't recognize it dead in the property walk around. There's really not much up there, and half the tree is still flowing juices. The large leader looking closest to the cam is alive and cut and fly.

Cut them all and replant!;) Future business. Either way it is kind of hard to see what's really going on in the pic.

I've done hundreds of dead elm, many much worse than that. Dont trust anything under 3'', and try not to put to much side tension on any part of the tree. If part of it is still alive, the stem will be plenty strong. Wait till they've been dead and left for 10 years - That really makes for an exciting day...

Yeah why don't they make one?

I've spoken with several manufacturers about this idea, and every single one said the same thing: "So you want a load-bearing piece of life-support equipment that is designed to break? Seriously?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feed back. I gave it a number, see what he wants to do.

I know my limits pretty well, but this one had me stumped as I never even worked on a live elm before, let alone a dead one.

Elm is usually a lot harder than you expect it to be. Your saws will seem dull when you cut it, even if they are razor sharp. I agree with Fred and the Thorminator's advice. As long as the stem is solid then you should be fine on it. Listen to what the limb wood tells you.

I've spoken with several manufacturers about this idea, and every single one said the same thing: "So you want a load-bearing piece of life-support equipment that is designed to break? Seriously?"

I guess I would bring up the Yates screamer. I guess it is tool that only looks good on paper.

I've done tons of dead Siberian Elm trees and a handful of Americans and I think that for rigging purposes the wood is essentially the same. Sqwerl is exactly right about the dry dead wood: it is utterly bone hard. The thing that you really want to watch out for is checking. I'd be much less worried about you since you're in Connecticut. In a very dry climate, dead Elms can last a long, long time and the checking can be severe. Definitely listen to Butch: older climbers just tend to be a lot smarter all around. I'd be slightly less reticent to send you up there--My biggest concern wouldn't really be the wood bustin' out on ya, but on your spurs kicking out runnin the saw. Break out that rusty flat file on the spurs for sure. Might even be time to read the "wrap the lanyard" thread or whatever it is. You'll know the instant you get up there whether it sucks or not.

How hungry are you for work? I just got back from a bid on what? A dead siberian elm that looked 5 plus years gone. There was bucket access and I am booked out four weeks. I gave them another tree service to call who has a bucket. Could I do it? Yep. Do I want to do it? Nope.

Back