Word of the day

1word
Pronunciation: \ˈwərd\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German wort word, Latin verbum, Greek eirein to say, speak, Hittite weriya- to call, name
Date: before 12th century
1 a: something that is said bplural (1): talk, discourse <putting one's feelings into words> (2): the text of a vocal musical composition c: a brief remark or conversation <would like to have a word with you>
2 a (1): a speech sound or series of speech sounds that symbolizes and communicates a meaning usually without being divisible into smaller units capable of independent use (2): the entire set of linguistic forms produced by combining a single base with various inflectional elements without change in the part of speech elements b (1): a written or printed character or combination of characters representing a spoken word <the number of words to a line> —sometimes used with the first letter of a real or pretended taboo word prefixed as an often humorous euphemism <the first man to utter the f word on British TV — Time><we were not afraid to use the d word and talk about death — Erma Bombeck> (2): any segment of written or printed discourse ordinarily appearing between spaces or between a space and a punctuation mark c: a number of bytes processed as a unit and conveying a quantum of information in communication and computer work
3: order, command <don't move till I give the word>
4often capitalized a: logos b: gospel 1a c: the expressed or manifested mind and will of God
5 a: news, information <sent word that he would be late> b: rumor
6: the act of speaking or of making verbal communication
7: saying, proverb
8: promise, declaration <kept her word>
9: a quarrelsome utterance or conversation —usually used in plural <they had words and parted>
10: a verbal signal : password
11slang —used interjectionally to express agreement
— good word
1: a favorable statement <put in a good word for me>
2: good news <what's the good word>
— in a word : in short
— in so many words
1: in exactly those terms <implied that such actions were criminal but did not say so in so many words>
2: in plain forthright language <in so many words, she wasn't fit to be seen — Jean Stafford>
— of few words : not inclined to say more than is necessary : laconic <a man of few words>
— of one's word : that can be relied on to keep a promise —used only after man or woman<a man of his word>
— upon my word : with my assurance : indeed, assuredly <upon my word, I've never heard of such a thing>

"WORD!!!!!!!!"

Back